03 6.0 intermittent no-starts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 11:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 03 6.0 intermittent no-starts

Hello everyone,
First off, I'd like to start that this is my first post but I'm a long time reader of these forums. This is such a great site, with such extensive answers that I've never needed to post my own problem. With that being said, I've encountered an issue with my 03 f250 6.0 that cannot be solved with hours upon hours of searching. This truck is stock with the exception of a bullydog gt which is ran only on the "tow" setting and a coolant filter. I have 2 codes, one is the cyl 4 glow plug circuit and the other is crankshaft position sensor. The issue I'm having is when I go to start my truck up, it is intermittently starting and when it doesnt start, it turns over for a fraction of a second and then just stops and I only can hear the starter spinning; when it does start, it seems to be turning over slow. I do have AE with the capability to monitor all values. My FICM is at 48.5v and I believe that is cranking as well. Batteries both have been charged, load tested and check out fine with 12.7 v each. IPR is at 25% and I'm having trouble remember my ICP but I believe it was 25 psi key on and 5-- something turning over. I have intermittent base oil readings which led me to pulling the oil filter housing off and observed slow oil entering. One time I did get it started, I observed the base oil (dash pressure) read normal. I have ran a buzz test and contribution test so the injectors dont seem to be the issue. I also did pull out the egr and observed a small amount of moisture which tells me the cooler is leaking and needing replacement but wouldnt cause a no start scenerio. Hopefully I was clear and concise enough. With all these things, I'm being led to 3 seperate problems. Its either the gpcm is bad, I have a leaking stc, dummy plug or icp, or the lpop has decided to bow out. I'm at a loss here and would appreciate any and all help and suggestions. It's winter here in Ohio and I'm attempting to drive a ford mustang. Thanks in advance, guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 06:08 PM

I think if it were me I and it was cranking slow I would look at the starter mine started to drag to the point that it wouldn't start my truck then it finally went out replaced the starter and fixed my problem. I hope it this simple for you good luck.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Cps cmp codes will come up with extended cranking times, i wouldnt be concerned with that.. Might want to test the glow plug system, i think AE has a self test for glow plugs. If you are cranking with ipr at .25 and icp is above 500 then that doesnt seem like a problem, if anything i would suspect a bad IPR valve. Wats icp/ipr while idling when engine is hot and when cold?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-03-2014, 04:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree that the cps code is probably due to extended crank times, but I was getting that code way before I ran into the no start issue. The other reason I bring the cps up is because the crank times are not that long. When I go to start it, it will turn over for a fraction of a second and stop like it's hydrolocked and all I can hear is the starter spinning and the dashboard oil pressure gauge doesn't move. When the truck does start, the dash oil pressure rises as normal and then doesn't have an issue starting other than it sounds slower than normal. Recapping that, I forgot to mention I have had the hpop, icp, ipr replaced almost 2 years ago ( not saying thats not the issue).

As for the reading while idling, I cannot be certain at this moment but I'm pretty sure the ficm was 48.5, icp 750 ish and ipr 28%. I apologize I don't have exact readings, while I was attempting to open up my fuel filter housing, the frail plastic snapped and now I cant attempt to start because it sprays diesel everywhere, especially in my eyes ha.
I did try to run the glow plug test with AE and it said it failed/ truck wasn't in the right state so that is probably the module needing replacement. But, would that cause a no start?
Old 01-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

any other ideas as to why it would only crank for a second and stop?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just a bump looking for other suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
glow plugs, icp, no dash oil pressure, no start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.