2006 F250 compression leak or ??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 F250 compression leak or ???

Here's the situation - sorry it's so long, but I'm trying to cover everything:

The truck is a 2006 F250 6.0 (4WD), 150K miles, stock and the oil cooler and EGR cooler were replaced prior to failure at about 120K. Regular maintenance with Motorcraft filters and 15W40. I have and use a ScanGauge 2 (more on that further down). Had been running fine but did a slightly early (2700 miles) oil change before trip and drove about 50-75 miles before trip with no signs of any issues. The only thing that happened prior to the main issues was a slight rough idle or stumble once at a lunch stop about 100 miles into the trip. Tapped the fuel pedal and it went away and then ran fine on the interstate until about 300 miles into the 400 mile Christmas trip, when it began to run rough.

The Scangauge 2 showed a P0281 code pending (no Check Engine Light), so I pulled into the next stop and started checking things out. I noticed that I had spilled a little oil on the valve cover and the #7 injector connector had a little oil on it, so I disconnected it, cleaned it with some electrical contact cleaner and reconnected it. The truck started right up and seemed to run fine. We made it to my in-laws with me thinking I had found the problem.

Nope. The next morning, I went to start the truck and it ran BADLY - it fired right up and the Scangauge showed good HPOP pressure, FICM at 48v, etc., but it was smoking (gray and black), idling rough, running rough, etc. and showed p0281 pending again (still no CEL).

I went to the nearest Ford dealer and got a couple of sets of injector o-rings and crush washers, a new standpipe and dummy plug, and just in case, a new injector. Got the valve covers off, the oil rail out, etc. and the injector pulled (the copper crush washer came up still attached). I didn't see anything obvious, and in fact, everything looked really good, but I went ahead and put the new injector in, along with the new standpipe and dummy plug. Put it all back together, and after the expected couple of crank cycles to clear the air out of the system, it fired up. Now it was running worse, with what sounded like a seal leak at the combustion washer - a sort of air pump "puff, puff" sound at compression. It was there even when using the starter wire (i.e., no start cranking). I was 99.99% I had not screwed anything up, but ???

I went back in, pulled the new injector and examined it - the washer looked uniformly "crushed," but on closer inspection, it appeared there was a leak between the injector "face" and the washer. Sure enough, the "rebuilt" injector had all sorts of visible pits on the face, and you could trace the leaks on the underside of the washer and face of the injector. So I took it back to the dealer, who agreed it didn't look right. We looked at two more injectors with the same date code (12/3/13) and all looked iffy, with one having visible signs of carbon fouling still remaining. They had one with a slightly earlier date code (11/23/13) and so I took it. Got it installed and torqued down and was cleaning up the carrier galleys, etc. and noticed the spool valve wiring looked, well, "weird." I touched the solenoid and it fell off! Another defective injector, but this time, no running on it or anything. Out it came and back to the dealer AGAIN. Again, what appeared to be a defective batch. Got another one with another date code and installed it.

Still have the same symptoms - starts up with good HPOP pressure, but idles and runs badly and has the "puff puff" with the compression stroke on what appears to be cylinder 7 (even when doing a "no crank" start with the starter wire). I've examined the rocker assemblies, the push rods seem to spin fine, nothing seems amiss from visual inspection of the valve train.

I'm stumped and I'm stuck - anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Any shore nuff 6.0 techs in the Houston area that could help, or anyone know of any to recommend?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Last edited by JoeBleaux; 01-01-2014 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Formatting/Line spacing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

How does the injector cup look? It could be cracked..I think the dealer should have the tools or die to detect it.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I' m traveling and don't have any way to look at it yet - with things opening up today, I will try to get with someone one can check the injector cup out. I'd rather not deal with a dealer that has multiple defective parts on the shelf - not their fault necessarily, but once bitten twice shy.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

UPDATE - The injector nipple (cup) was deformed by the defective new, OEM injector. I'll be posting a separate thread because the dealership had several similarly defective injectors, all with the same date codes, but I'll also post follow-ups or respond to this thread if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.