Engine idles, no acceleration - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine idles, no acceleration

I have a 2003 6.0 L engine in an F250 with 170K for milage. The truck has been very good except for a broken wire to the FiCM a few years ago. We have been good about changing oil every 4000. It started a few weeks ago of stalling and then would not restart until it cooled down. It has gotten progressively worse so that now it will start but run at an idle of about 780 RPM and will not respond to the accelerator at all. No trouble codes are set and the data checks out except that DSB is only 2000 to 2100 psi and the IPR Duty Cycle is 85%. I did a air pressure check in the ICP port and can hear leaking in the area of the IPR all the time; even when it is commanded to 90%. Is it possible that the IPR is bad and is this the correct test for that? Air flow decreases when the IPR is commanded closes, but it does not stop. Is there another place where air can be leaking in that area. We put soap bubbles over the area of the ICP and ICR to see if there were external leaks but did not find any. Any help will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 07:10 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sounds like the high pressure pump could be on it's way out. This is more common on 03-04 than any other years. I'll typically watch the ICP waveform during the no start and sawtooth like fluctuations in the pressure while cranking indicate a pump that has failed. Also an air pressure check that results in oil gurgling through the oil filter housing is a indication of a bad pump.

As a preliminary inspection it never hurts to pull the IPR and and have a look, could very well be a damaged screen causing the problem too. I keep a good IPR on hand at all times, they can be difficult to isolate but it sounds like yours is moving when commanded.

Last edited by sinner6.0L; 01-01-2014 at 07:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sinner6.0L For This Useful Post:
hurlbuta (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 07:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply. We didn't see anything happening in the oil filter but will look at the IPR. We don't have the special Ford tool to remove it. Is there another way to get it out?
Old 01-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It is more difficult to access the IPR on an 03 than any other years due to the intake manifold crossover. It won't be possible to get it out without some kind of special tool. On later years you can use an open end wrench(with the turbo removed) but not on an 03

I believe the original repair procedure had you using a 12pt crowsfoot 1 5/8" socket back in there but I prefer the IPR socket. Lisle tool makes a nice IPR socket that is very inexpensive and well worth it. You would need to remove the FICM and possibly the rear most intake stud on that side to access it easily with a 6" extension and a universal.

I assume you've looked at your ICP sensor and connector? If it is leaking any oil change it. They can cause a wide array of symptoms
Old 01-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks again. I found the Leslie socket on the internet and will order one. Meanwhile I will try to borrow one from our local Ford dealership. I replaced the original ICP along with the pigtail a few years ago and they look fine. I think that my problem is in the IRP but am not sure whether I should also replace the High Pressure pump. Thanks again for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.