Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

stock turbo data? low boost unless WOT

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  HICKatvRACER17 
#1 ·
just kind of looking for some turbo info so I know what else I can look for this weekend when I look her over.
I just cleaned my vgt turbo and it doesn't seem the same. I have a livewire, so I can monitor boost, rpm, pedal position, etc if anyone would like me to watch that for specifics.

*Normal city driving from 0-30mph with slight and normal city acceleration im seeing hardly ANY boost. like 0-1psi

*flat highway cruising, I have been seeing about the same thing

*if I punch it, ill get the 23-25 psi as it should, but there seems to be a LOT of turbo lag, WAY more than normal.

*now im not sure If im imaging this or not but: it doesn't seem like it does this all the time. sometimes i'll get the normal 7-10 highway cruising psi that I am used to, but usually its the 0-1psi

I pulled my vgt solenoid, and broke the other tab off (damnit :mad: ) and the exhaust/engine tone changes as it should. I glanced at my IC boots quickly today and didn't see anything major, but I didn't take a real good look at them yet.

as my other post on fuel mileage states, I think im in the stock towing tune on my SCT. I can't remember as the trucks been sitting awhile with the batteries out.

any help will be greatly appreciated. :ford:

See less See more
#3 ·
Ok ill check her out thank you. I just hope I didnt out the turbo back together wrong or not square or something. I notice when I turn the truck off the turbo doesnt really seem to spool down like it did prior to cleaning it. It used to sound like a jet engine but now it is super faint and doesnt last long

#5 ·
I thought I assembled it back properly. I mean if the locating pin thing is in the right spot and the solenoid prong is in the unison ring, isn't that the only way you'll be able to easily put the clamp on? the vgt seems to be working; the only way im guessing that is because when I unplug the vgt solenoid the exhaust tone and engine sound changes.

a side note: Today I put the truck back to the stock tune. on the way home from work tonight here is what I found:

leaving a stop sign, accelerating to 30mph at a normal city pace, Im lucky if I see 1psi of boost. driving through the city at a constant speed: lucky to see 1psi.

driving steady at 55-60 mph, again same thing: lucky to see 1psi. if I hit a hill, it'll take half the hill to get the turbo to spool. but like I said, if I spool her up, it'll go to its normal max psi.

driving tone is way different than normal too.. sounds hollow and dull with no turbo whistle...

somethings deff not right here, its driving me nuts I want sell my truck, or throw my turbo in the garbage and get an aftermarket one.... if only I had the cash lol!

#6 ·
Im guessing my vanes are sticking;
My drive TO work consists of 45mph for 1 mile. Then i slow down and turn to an "on ramp" then i stop at a stop sign. Then I get on the 55mph freeway for about 5 miles directly to work. Usually my boost is fine when I pull into work.

On my way HOME from work. Its 55mph all the way till I slow down on the "off ramp" then stop ata stop sign. Then I leave the stop sign and accelerate to 45mph I usually have no boost for like a block. When it shifts into OD I have no boost again.

I would imagine my vanes are sticking at my boost pressure at driving 55mph, but on my way TO work my boost changes because of the slowing and the stop sign so they dont stick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.