Replaced LPOP gears now NO OIL to the oil filter canister. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 01:03 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(SOLVED) Replaced LPOP gears now NO OIL to the oil filter canister.

(SOLVED: read below)

Before: Crank No Start. No reading on the dash oil gauge. So with oil filter removed and oil filer drain plunger closed it would crank for 17 sec before oil would enter the canister. Took 10 additional seconds to fill. 27 seconds total. Still no start.

Now: Changed out the lpop gears, front cover, and seal / wear ring. I also replaced the oil cooler, STC, standpipes, dummy plugs, and a bunch of HPOP & fuel regulator gaskets and o-rings. I get NO oil in the oil filter canister.

Findings: Even tho I installed new updated OEM parts, every old part looked good, heck looked great. Except for the oil cooler reservoir screen was torn. The lpop gears had some scoring from signs of small debri and the front cover was gouged. I removed the lpop gears and oil pressure regulator, and cleaned that housing area very well, to ensure no debri was in there.

Problem: no oil to the oil filter canister as all. Could I have installed the oem lpop gears in backwards. (Does that matter?) Could I have installed the oil pressure regulator improperly. I put the spring inside of the metal sleeve then screwed it in the block. Looked correct to me.

I'm sure it is something simple. Fingers crossed.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by gary6.0; 01-03-2014 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Solved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 06:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have always worked of off the assumption that they ship them preassembled for a reason
so I do my best not to mess with orientation.

With as many parts as you have changed it is hard to guess where an error may have occured.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:39 AM
Premium Member

Get a look at the IPR screen , I'm just going thru a similar scenario . Ours had came apart
and lodged some plastic under the plunger . Carefully removed the pieces and cleaned.
Not sure if it's related , but a thought .
Hope you get it sorted !
Old 12-31-2013, 10:29 AM

Thank you for the reply guys. I am hoping the problem is in the lower pump area because I can not see how the top end would be the cause.

I did install the both the inner and outer gear the same as it came out of the package. But i know some aftermarket gears have stamping, marks, or beveled edges to orientate which side faces the front cover. The OEM looked the same on both sides. Hoping someone can chime in on this.

Also the IPR screen is new. But i could understand how it could cause a no start.

I am still hoping the problem is with how I installed the oil regulator spring. I think I put it in the same way it came out. pretty straight forward... but you know. this is a 6.0. lol
Old 12-31-2013, 03:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I worked on a 6.0 not long ago with a similar issue, new lpop due to oil filter housing not filling up. After new gears the filter housing would not fill up, we tried a bunch of things since we have several spare motors. We ended up putting in a two gallons of lucas oil because its real thick an sure enough the truck ran great. Turns out the bearings are so worn due to the fact truck has 300k and the oil clearances were too big to push the oil up to the HPOP
Old 12-31-2013, 09:16 PM

Happy New Years folks.
Ok that sounds odd to have to add 2 gallons of thick Lucas oil but that just might do the trick. This engine has 172k miles. BEFORE, It did fill the oil canister in less than 10 sec after 17 sec of cranking.

The oil path is from the pan to the pickup tube to the lpop to the oil filter canister??, then to the oil cooler. correct?
Old 01-01-2014, 07:01 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The gear orientation doesn't matter. I do make sure to leave the 2 pieces in the way they came out of the packaging but there are no markings to indicate which way they go into the front cover.

An old trick is to pack the gears with petroleum jelly to aid in creating suction before the system is primed. I have never put a set of gears back in without doing this and thankfully I've never had a problem.

The oil pressure regulator only goes in one way. The cap goes in flat side first, the spring goes in next fitting into the recess in the cap, then the plug screws in last to hold it all in.

Last edited by sinner6.0L; 01-01-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:28 PM

SOLVED! Sinner6.0L thanks for the petroleum jelly trick.

I removed the balancer and the front cover. The seal still looked new. That's good. The inside of the front cover still looked new. Thank goodness, I was afraid it had possible been the problem. Not a drop of oil tho. Hmm. Same with the gears. Still clean. So I pulled out the otter gear with a magnet and stuffed the gears with petroleum jelly. Reinstalled the front cover and cranked it over using the factory starter jumper cable on the passenger side. Removed the oil filter. Depressed the drain valve and cranked the engine. Sure enough... It filled with oil in seconds!!!!

I put everything back together and got ready to fire it up. Still not firing but at lease now my ICP% is up.

Thank you all for your input and help. One more problem solved, one step closer to getting it running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
lpop, oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.