No black smoke!?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No black smoke!?!

My truck had been blowing a bit of black smoke with my bully dog 50hp programmer but recently I have lost a little bit of power and the black smoke.

I imagine I have a fuel related issue. The truck has been good to me, 113k. Over the last couple winters I have developed some injector stickton issues when below 35 degrees or so. Other than that no problems.

I'm not quite due for fuel filters but I'm going to do it to rule out clogged filters. I'm pretty religious about draining out the separator and I've notice a touch of leaking fuel possibly leaking from somewhere down there.

And I have replaced the fuel pressure regulating assembly on the secondary filter.

I've searched the forums and got somewhat of a plan on looking for the problem. What I don't have is the scan tools and gauges to really look at much of anything.

I plan on replacing fuel filters, looking for the leak, disconnecting battery to reset comp, then ???..........what easy stuff can I look at before taking it to the shop? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Not only possible fuel delivery issue, but a weak HPOP system can cause lack of power and no "black smoke".

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check your ficm voltage

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-31-2013, 03:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Makes sense. I hope not I've already had everything replaced because I had a leaking sct fitting about 15k ago. I think I already know the answer but, Is there anyway to check the hpop without a scan tool?
Old 01-01-2014, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, decided to return my tune to stock, remove the tuner. The truck felt very weak. Almost to the point where I had trouble pulling out in traffic. Disconnected the battery, let it sit about 2 mins, reconnected and it ran a bit better. Reinstalled the tuner and the truck ran at 100%.

So, will this last? I remember reading a thread about someone with the same problems and they came back. Why would my truck's tune get hosed up? Hopefully I didn't damage the injectors or anything. I'm certainly going to invest in some gauges to monitor my fuel pressure, hoop pressure, etc.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:54 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
Stuck egr valve, ficm, or a clogged map sensor would be my guess. If you have a egr valve remove and clean then remove the map hose and use a allen wrench to clear the intake side and map sensor side then just blow the tube clean. If all is good check ficm voltage using a multimeter. Here is a link. http://www.ficmfixer.com/testing.htm

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-01-2014, 06:23 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

For crying out loud go get yourself a ScanGaugeII. They are only 150.00 and can save you thousands by knowing whether or not your oil cooler is going to trash your engine.

Anyone who does not run a monitor in a 6.0 is foolish and I mean that harshly.
Auto Zone has them on the shelf.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm thinking on spending the money and going with the edge insight cts. I plan on keeping the truck for awhile so I need to get on monitoring my truck
Old 01-04-2014, 03:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Picked up an edge insight cts and the expandable egt probe yesterday. I hooked up the monitor last night.

Took a 85 mile trip and watched my ficm voltage for awhile. I had ficm problems in the past and pulled it out to replace the lead free solder with the good stuff so I was curious to see what the voltage was. At startup it dropped to 45V and came back up and hovered around 47.5 to 48.5 for the most part. A few times accelerating my wife saw it drop to 44.5.

When my sct fitting failed (left me stranded) I had all the updated parts and a coolant flush(still running ford stuff) put in so I took a look at my delta. I know 15 is the highest, I saw about 8 on average with it not going over 10.

The insight was a good investment and I wished I would of put the money into it earlier. I almost want to say I'm looking forward to another 6.0 hiccup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.