Engine starts roughs and no accel power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Engine starts roughs and no accel power

Have an '04 F350 with an '03 motor.. 128K on the motor.. I have been very good about changing oil every 3-4k miles and other required maintenance. I don't run it every day..

At start-up, the engine is very rough and at low temps( below 20) its almost impossible to start. It takes a good 10 minutes to settle into a decent idle. At this point if I hit the gas pedal.. engine RPMS increase very slowly while in "park". It may take a minute to go from 1000 to 3500 RPMS. If i try and take it on the road is barely accelerates under load. Once the engine warms up it runs beautiful ..like nothing was wrong. It seems to have begun when i tried to start it on a ski trip at minus 20F.

It sounds like i at least have a blown HPOP and maybe some stiction.
Also makes a very loud fan sound(rushing air) at acceleration.

I don't mind putting a few $$$ into the truck if i can get another 10yrs out of it. Assuming i need a HPOP, what else should i have done at the same time.

Should I replace with a Ford HPOP or is there a better option.. what about injectors and FICM and EGR issues. Should i take it to dealer.. or does anyone know a good shop at the Jersey shore?

Rather just get it all done at once. Any help or other suggestions about diagnosis would help..

Really drives me nuts to have spent an extra $5k on the diesel just to have these issues.

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Welcome to the Org!!

Your issue may be as simple as a weak FICM. Do you have a way to monitor the engine?

What is the FICMv when starting motor and idling cold? What is the Battv?

Even though the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn't on, you can still have engine codes. Use a good scan tool to pull any codes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The Following User Says Thank You to Lilpooh For This Useful Post:
khardmey (12-30-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've got the same motor in my 03. You may try a couple bottles of Rev X. It fixed my injector stiction after only running about 30 minutes. It ran like a totally different truck.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Welcome to the Org!!

Your issue may be as simple as a weak FICM. Do you have a way to monitor the engine?

What is the FICMv when starting motor and idling cold? What is the Battv?

Even though the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn't on, you can still have engine codes. Use a good scan tool to pull any codes.

Thanks for the reply.. I have a voltmeter that i can try. I suppose i could take the truck to the dealer to let him diagnose it and them I can decide if i can tackle it or let a shop do it.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

FICM checked out 47 volts at before and after start..

I guess i can take it to dealer to have them run a diagnostic.

Question: Lets say it HPOP.. should i have stock HPOP put in or is there a better remanufactured or improved model to use?

Given the 129K mileage .. should i have the glow plugs and injectors replaced while its in the shop or can those repairs be done without having to basically tear apart the same part of the engine..my thought is that if its half way apart already it might be the time..
Old 01-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

FICM checked out 47 volts at before and after start..

I guess i can take it to dealer to have them run a diagnostic.

Question: Lets say it HPOP.. should i have stock HPOP put in or is there a better remanufactured or improved model to use?

Given the 129K mileage .. should i have the glow plugs and injectors replaced while its in the shop or can those repairs be done without having to basically tear apart the same part of the engine..my thought is that if its half way apart already it might be the time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by khardmey View Post
Have an '04 F350 with an '03 motor.. 128K on the motor.. I have been very good about changing oil every 3-4k miles and other required maintenance. I don't run it every day..

At start-up, the engine is very rough and at low temps( below 20) its almost impossible to start. It takes a good 10 minutes to settle into a decent idle. At this point if I hit the gas pedal.. engine RPMS increase very slowly while in "park". It may take a minute to go from 1000 to 3500 RPMS. If i try and take it on the road is barely accelerates under load. Once the engine warms up it runs beautiful ..like nothing was wrong. It seems to have begun when i tried to start it on a ski trip at minus 20F.

It sounds like i at least have a blown HPOP and maybe some stiction.
Also makes a very loud fan sound(rushing air) at acceleration.

I don't mind putting a few $$$ into the truck if i can get another 10yrs out of it. Assuming i need a HPOP, what else should i have done at the same time.

Should I replace with a Ford HPOP or is there a better option.. what about injectors and FICM and EGR issues. Should i take it to dealer.. or does anyone know a good shop at the Jersey shore?

Rather just get it all done at once. Any help or other suggestions about diagnosis would help..

Really drives me nuts to have spent an extra $5k on the diesel just to have these issues.

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.