Long cranking issue/Need opinions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Long cranking issue/Need opinions

Hoping for some ideas of what might be the issue my truck. A little background first. It has a brand new ICP,IPR,fresh rotella,brand new fuel pump,2 new batteries,FICM reads 48.5v,icp at key on is around 570+psi,IPR 14,truck cranks for a while on first try no start,cycle the key again and the truck starts and dies on the second try, 3rd try it always starts and runs perfect until I shut it off and it will do the same thing whether its warmed up or cold.(These are long cranks)I was thinking FICM or HPOP but before I go spending the money I just wanted to get some experienced opinions.Truck is a 04/04 build with only 95k miles.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
,icp at key on is around 570+psi
This is not correct. You should have 0 (maybe up to 100 psi) ICP at KOEO. After a few seconds of cranking it should build to >500 and start. After 5-10 seconds of cranking >1500 psi.

You need to do some troubleshooting but you need good data to help you. Follow the no-start sticky for a routine to follow.

Do you have the short lid for the oil filter and an OEM filter? Does it fill quickly when cranking?

Does your fuel filter housing fill as well? What is your fuel pressure?

What is your IPR doing when you crank it? Same for ICP once you get a good reading? If you unplug the ICP, does it start?

What does your FICM voltage do when cranking?
Old 12-30-2013, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the reply, I will get some more data when I get home today.I meant to say during cranking the icp builds to 570+,I'll try and take a video for you so you can kinda see whats going on.Thanks for the input though.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:18 AM

Update.
FICM at crank 47.5
SYNC-1
ICP-0 and builds to 314 and sits there then 5 secs later goes above 500psi
IPR-14.4%

ICP shoots right up to 314 and takes a good 10sec crank over to achieve over 500psi. Once over 500psi it starts.Is this the HPOP going bad? Thanks for the help.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:57 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like you either have a high pressure oil leak or the HPOP is getting weak. Your'e gonna have to try and isolate the leak if thats the case. I use to work for International and we had a dummy plug we would put in place of the IPR valve which would dead head the HPOP and give the psi at max output.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingStroker70 View Post
Sounds like you either have a high pressure oil leak or the HPOP is getting weak. Your'e gonna have to try and isolate the leak if thats the case. I use to work for International and we had a dummy plug we would put in place of the IPR valve which would dead head the HPOP and give the psi at max output.
Yea I'm thinking it's the HPOP,it has no problems building to 300-314 psi and then it won't build up anymore psi.After 3rd cycle of the key it starts everytime and ICP idles at around 570+ and when i get on the throttle it acts normal climbs to 3k+.I'm gonna pull the trigger on an HPOP and put her in and hopefully that will cure my problem.Truck has been great so far,only has 95k miles on her.Thanks for the inquiry as well.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:20 PM

Gonna check for a HP leak first of course,would hate to spend the $ on the pump and have it be something else lol.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sounds like a similar issue to mine. Can i ask you once you start it on the 3rd try is it drive-able or will it die after starting at all. Im getting similar readings just cant tell if its on the HP or LP side. unplugging the icp does nothing for starting.

Please post your findings. maybe it will help me figure mine out....

Good luck!

Subscribed.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:56 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
pdate.
FICM at crank 47.5
SYNC-1
ICP-0 and builds to 314 and sits there then 5 secs later goes above 500psi
IPR-14.4%

ICP shoots right up to 314 and takes a good 10sec crank over to achieve over 500psi.
I highlighted the problem. As you crank, the IPR should be commanded toward 30-40% until start. If it is an extended crank, it will move toward 85%. SO IF IT IS NOT BEING COMMANDED CLOSED, you have a FICM or PCM issue which may be related to intermittent SYNC problems.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

Twoicebergs is right. I dont know why that didnt stick out to me before. Is the extended cranks the reason for replacing the IPR in the first place? Was the reading the same with the old one as the new?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.