Life expectancy for the 6.0? What is the most mileage seen?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Life expectancy for the 6.0? What is the most mileage seen??

I know the 7.3 goes 300,000 miles with abuse, hard work, and 600,000 miles with reasonable care, and Marc has seen one with 960,000 miles with regular MotorCraft Service...

Is the 6.0 the same lower end strength, piston strenth, rods, rings? I don't think they have been out long enough but what is the most anyone has seen, probably no use responding if you have not seen one OVER 300,000 miles.

But what do you engine builders or engine terrors and "Rod Slingers" as it may be

think of the general strength?

A Customer of mine would like your opinions please... :beer2:

lone Ranger in Oz.... Lovin my Effie, best luxury car I have had, or driven, since my 1978 Lincoln Continental... I'll take the F-350 King Ranch over anything else out there thank you..!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2006, 04:41 PM

The reason you saw 7.3's with very high milage on them and they continue to run is they are pretty cheap to fix and keep on the road. Short of buying injectors, most of what goes wrong is relatively cheap stuff. Even injectors can run about 200,000 but may need a simple $10 O ring kit every hundred thousand. Beyond that, the turbo is only $600 and can be replaced by about any skilled mechanic for a couple hundred labor.

I don't think the future for 6.0's is good at all. For one thing, they are way too expensive to work on. When you start talking about a $2000 job to change an EGR cooler hose you've went way past what people are going to be willing to spend on these trucks paticularly when they can't seem to keep them on the road under warranty. I believe you'll have the odd ball high milage truck, but whoever owns it will have spent a fortune getting it there. Things like water pumps wouldn't be a cheap project. They have those things crammed in that truck to the point you have to take off too much other stuff just to get to it. I took my alternator off my old 7.3 truck once in the driveway of a guy that rebuilds them. No big deal about a 10 minute job to take it off and put it back on. The 6 liter alternator looks like a 3 or 4 hour project.

Right now around here you can expect to pay about $30,000 for a used 7.3 between 2000 and 2002. A 6 liter won't bring $22,000. People aren't wanting to turn loose of the 7.3's because of their far superior dependability, cheaper maintenance, and better performance. I'm not interested in selling my 1995 but I'd sell my 6.0 to the first person to show up with $25,000. That's $4,000 under it's NADA book.

Skipper
Old 11-15-2006, 04:48 PM
Jon

So far.

The most on a 6.0 ive seen is about 300,000. It was running good. Local construction company has 3 with close to 200,000 and never had a problem. Wanna know why? Oil changes at 3000 miles.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:08 PM

Thank you StrokeTechie,
I appreciate that. 300,000 is pretty good already!!.... 200,000 Miles, without any problems is also about as good of a report as anyone can get on anything...

And you KYSkipper, your response still holds the record for the worst opinion on the 6.0 of ANY Forum, ANY Aftermarket Parts Supplier, and ANYWHERE!!!

I can tell you that you are not in the 95% majority in your opinion, but if that is your opinion I would SELL THAT LEMON and move on...

I still have a 2003 7.3, and they are gritty and unrefined like the smooth performance of my 6.0. And since I need an Automatic, the 6.0 Auto is FAR SUPERIOR than the 7.3. Now look, no offence to you, but if we are going to talk like we are living in the past, give me a new 1989 Ford Crew Cab F-350 Dually, or a 1969... But we can't buy them new any more. And I don't like either of the older transmissions, have gone to some great depth with the E40D and studied the 4R100, this transmission if FABULOUS.. I did not like some of the things on my 1993 7.3 either, the vacuum pump was a tempermental mess that died occassionally, the TPS Throttle Postion sensor was a plastic piece of s***, and so on.

But with your lemon experience, maybe you should sell it and move on. I have had three Effies of late model, 1993 F-350, 2003 F-250, and now this new King Ranch, and it is the tops!! You might just have a streak of bad luck on your hands... Or need to talk to the Big Fellow upstairs once in a while :pray:

I hope your luck changes...
Old 11-15-2006, 05:11 PM
Jon

I laugh.

When people call the 6.0 junk. All that says to me is Ignorance! Great motor. Has a few issues but still a great motor. Not a 7.3 but still a great motor. There are just a lot of people driving them that shouldnt be.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroketechintraining View Post
When people call the 6.0 junk. All that says to me is Ignorance! Great motor. Has a few issues but still a great motor. Not a 7.3 but still a great motor. There are just a lot of people driving them that shouldnt be.
Thank you StrokeTechie, you obviously work on them, you should know... What is your opinion on the comment you made above about how some people drive them? Marc seems to think that most of the problems like Turbo clearances and EGR valves in the 03-05 models was from people not driving them ENOUGH, or HARD enough.....

On our end in Australia the comment was (like driving in rain and wet weather and then parking it up for two weeks) contributed to the turbo problems with too tight of clearances and corrosion.. What Marc says seems to make sense, do you agree as a Ford Motor Techie?

Best Regards, Ranger doing research...
Old 11-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Jon

100%

Ford actually states they are not to be babied. Clean oil every 3000 miles, clean fuel filters every 12,000 miles and run em like a red headed step child.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Ford actually states they are not to be babied. Clean oil every 3000 miles, clean fuel filters every 12,000 miles and run em like a red headed step child.
Now that is funny!! I wish you were closer, I would have to buy you a beer or sixteen....:beer2:
Old 11-15-2006, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I noticed you are from North Carolina. I go over there quite a bit to Cataloochie. The fuel you all have over there is quite a bit better than what we have in Kentucky. Mine runs like garbage on this Kentucky fuel but I try to fill up at Waynesville and it takes about 10 miles for it to smooth out and run great. I believe that is one problem they have with the 6.0. They failed to take into account that different states have different fuel quality regulations, and in states where there aren't good quality fuels, the engines are having problems. You all say 95% of the 6 liters are good ones. You'd never prove that around here. You'd prove the opposite. I'm not alone on this, trust me. I know way too many people with them that have had problems. I only know of 1 for sure that's not having problems and it doesn't have enough miles on it to know one way or the other.

I've never babied mine, but on the other hand, I do a lot of country road driving and 80+ on the interstate isn't possible. Most of my driving is 45 to 60.

My old 7.3 has went about 8,000 between changes on oil. Most of the other 7.3's that I know of go 8,000 to 10,000. The owners manual on mine said 7500 miles to a change, and I change it between 6000 and 7000.

Skipper
Old 11-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Jon

Here comes the owners manual again.

I wish you guys could hear our engineers talk about the idiots that write the owners manuals. I like these guys that run 10 to 12,000 miles on an oil change with there 7.3's and get them towed in cuz they run like crap or don't run at all. Then I put 5 or 6 qts of oil in them and start them right up like brand new. Then they run 10 to 12,000 miles again and here comes the roll back again. 6.0's need clean oil more than clean fuel. The big problem with the 6.0 is everyone got spoiled with the 7.3. They could abuse the 7.3. Guess what! You cant abuse a 6.0. You have to actually take care of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.