Life expectancy for the 6.0? What is the most mileage seen?? - Page 6 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 02:27 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearloose View Post
267,000 miles on a 2005 6.0 PSD here, starts fine (a bit of irregular clatter until it warms up in 2 or 3 min), no sign of burning oil even in hard acceleration, runs good.
This makes me feel better, I just bought a 2003 F-250 with the 6.0 and it has 280,xxx miles on the clock. I've always heard about the 6.0 being a dud, but I spent 3 hours crawling in, underneath, and over this damn truck. The salesman gave up and went inside. From what I could tell, the headgaskets had just been changed, you could see the new headbolts (not studs) and had the fresh paint markings for tourqeing. Had a new waterpump on it and the motor had no leaks. Salesman had it and just had an A$$ load of highway miles and no sign of gooseneck hitch (had a painted bed cover on it). I've never had a turbo diesel, always had the non turbo. I bought it, nice truck, high miles but looked like it was taken care of. I'm gonna run it, and see what happens. Should be a learning experience however I believe that if you take care of something mechanical you do just that. It's never been programmed and I don't plan on doing that. Just wanted it for the weekends, hunting, pulling a boat. Should anything happen I will post it. But I'm curious to see how many miles I can get out of her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Premium Member

I bought a new 1983 Ford F-350 cab/chass and built a welding bed on it. Weighed 10,500 pounds with welding machine and tools....I got 472,000 miles out of it and have been buying Ford Diesels every since....I changed oil every 1,500 to 2,500 miles...I think service is the key...
RJS
Old 05-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

[QUOTE=craftkr;1903229]This makes me feel better, I just bought a 2003 F-250 with the 6.0 and it has 280,xxx miles on the clock.

The international website used to list the specs for the 6.0 and it was designed to last working hard for 260,000 miles. I ran into a pair of nrothers with an 03 6.0 that they claim to have 900,000 miles on. Him and his brother run 24 7 when they can hauling stuff all over the pacific northwest. They claimed three transmisson rebuilds but no major anything on the engine. They said head gaskets had been replaced and injectors but the engine was all original. I met them cause they were adding an additive to the take at the gas station and i was curious as to what they used. They use Lucas and made the comment that they think that lucas was the reason the engine had lasted so long. Since then i have talked to a couple of other 6.0 owners claiming over 250k without issues. Oh, the 900k guys had no programmer, completely stock cept the kitty ran away and the egr was gone.
Ford trucks will last if taken care of even when abused.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:37 PM

Having owned two 6.0 F-350 King Ranches, an 06 and an 07, after a few years of study I came to the following Engineering conclusions:

The EGR coolers, Head Studs, and Gaskets are at their stock limits.... Good engine.

It is just that no one in the Navistar design Team envisioned we would add such horsepower and performance to them. I think about 95% of the problems are from that increase. The engine is good, it just needs upgrades if you Tune it over design specs. I only tuned to "Tow Performance" and did not have a problem with either truck.

They are still going strong in the hands of the new Owners towing Bushtrackers in Australia....

lone Ranger
Old 05-24-2010, 07:36 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sounds good, I used to run that Lucas in every other tank of fuel. Used to work with this old guy and he would dump a can of Marvel Mystery oil in each tank of fuel... he swore up and down about doing that. And he would run his diesel equipment as long as he could. And well it always ran...

Last edited by craftkr; 05-24-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftkr View Post
Sounds good, I used to run that Lucas in every other tank of fuel. Used to work with this old guy and he would dump a can of Marvel Mystery oil in each tank of fuel... he swore up and down about doing that. And he would run his diesel equipment as long as he could. And well it always ran...
in todays world of ultra low sulfur deisel fuel additives like lucas that increase lubricity thus decreasing wear makes good sense to me.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My '06 has over 240K on it. Has small quirk when you first start it after sitting for a while though. It has to idle for at least 20 minutes before it gets moving. Also with heavy acceleration to pass someone it has a miss. Other than that, it runs very good. Over the years though it has developed a VERY long list of repairs and replacement parts to go along with it.

Last edited by Phrankenstine; 05-28-2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: fat fingers and can't spell for s**t
Old 05-28-2010, 05:57 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrankenstine View Post
My '06 has over 240K on it. Has small quirk when you first start it after sitting for a while though. It has to idle for at least 20 minutes before it gets moving. Also with heavy acceleration to pass someone it has a miss. Other than that, it runs very good. Over the years though it has developed a VERY long list of repairs and replacement parts to go along with it.
You have either a worn injector or sticking from dirt or lack of lubricity in the d you are using. Use a heavy dose of Lucas or amsoil fuel additive and Ill bet money it will go away. I always use the stuff even in antiuqe tractors. My neighbor builds roads and uses the same d in his 6.0 that he uses in his heavy equipment and had the same problem. Lucas fixed it for a year. Trouble is once the damage is done from the poor lubricity of today's fuel there is nothing u can do cept dig into your pocket
Old 05-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
You have either a worn injector or sticking from dirt or lack of lubricity in the d you are using. Use a heavy dose of Lucas or amsoil fuel additive and Ill bet money it will go away. I always use the stuff even in antiuqe tractors. My neighbor builds roads and uses the same d in his 6.0 that he uses in his heavy equipment and had the same problem. Lucas fixed it for a year. Trouble is once the damage is done from the poor lubricity of today's fuel there is nothing u can do cept dig into your pocket
I've started using the Motorcraft brand diesel treatment last week. It seemed to help the highway speed issue a small bit. I'll give the Amsoil a try. My father in law is a rep for them. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:39 PM

I know of a 2004 F-350 through a friend who owns an oil change business that told me last year, this truck had over 500,000 miles on it back then. If I can remember he said the water pump had been changed around 250,000 and head bolts, gaskets and injectors with the EGR and oil cooler were done at 400,000 miles. He also told me the transmission had been overhauled only once, but he didn’t know when. He said this guy hauls cars back-in-forth, between Florida and Louisiana and he changes his oil 2 - 3 times a month like clock work.

I spoke with my friend not to long ago and he told me this guy was still hauling cars with the same truck and was not aware of any other problems. I can’t remember if I asked about the mileage but surely he has another 100,000 miles on it by now, if not more.

Also, he told me this guy used a both a two and three car hauler with this truck. He said he has asked him when he was going to buy a new truck and the guy told him…."when this one is used-up"…LOL

If this isn’t a testament of FORD TUFF, I don’t know what is…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.