Overheating when towing??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Overheating when towing???

Any ideas? Runs fine when not under load, maybe a little warm but not hot. When I tow 5K lb camper up in the mountains, pegs the coolant gauge every time when on a hill unless I back off to about 25-30 in a 65 zone(not fun!) Took it to dealer about 2 weeks ago and they said it was the fan clutch, so they replaced it. Went to Hells Canyon last weekend and I think it is worse. Pegged coolant on a big hill, then put truck in 3rd so I wasn't riding brakes all the way down (long gradual grade, not steep) to the river and it pegged it again, then pegged it a 3rd time going slow (5-10) up to campground in 2nd. Popped hood and noticed coolant on bottle and battery, puking coolant through cap as far as I could tell. One other thing too, the most boost I've ever seen is 22, I've seen people on here getting 30-35. Sorry so long, just trying to give as much info as I can to diagnose the problem...Any ideas? Thermostat, headgasket...??? Thanks for any input you may have. Also, heading to the big sandbox Thursday so the wife has to deal with this Thanks again guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 05:45 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

head gaskets
Old 09-02-2008, 06:51 PM

Mine is doing the same thing. Towing about a 3000-4000# boat up steep hills it pegged them temp. gauge. It is at the dealer right now. They told me today it is the EGR cooler. Everything you describe sounds exactly the same. I'm not sure they aren't trying to take the easy way out.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Based on passed experiences with other vehicles, I would do the thermostat first. Had that happen to me a couple of time in my ford ranger. If you head gasket(s) are bad or the egr cooler is bad, you would have bubbling in your overflow tank and possibly be spilling coolant. If you are one of those guys who looks around and under the truck every time you get out of it (like I am), you would most likely notice it if your truck was dripping coolant. I'd do the thermostat and see what happens. Also, keep a very close eye on the level in your coolant overflow tank. That can really help diagnose this issue.

Keep us posted.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:04 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

never replaced a bad thermostat on a 6.0 unless contamintade due to ol coler busting , really dont see problems with thermostat on a diesel, there is a chance of an egr cooler , but i think this wil end up being head gaskets it always does
Old 09-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Serving Our Country!

Its at the dealer and the service manager says they haven't duplicated the problem yet. Yes it boils/bubbles in the overflow bottle and loses coolant through the cap. Told the dealer everything I've said on here, so hopefully they figure it out. I'm thinking head gasket too, but I'm sure they want to get out of having to tear it down that far, not that I blame them, but I just would like it fixed so my wife has one less thing to worry about while I'm gone. By the way, the dealer said I will have pay the $100 deductible again, even though I'm still having the same problem as I did the first time it was in 2 weeks ago. I do not agree with this at all, what do you guys think?
Old 09-03-2008, 05:52 PM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

$100 is better than 2000-3000 dollars, that's a cheap HG job in my opinion. I have been through the repeat 100 deduct's myself with the faulty injectors. I realized that they were doing this even with my chip, exhaust, etc... So it was fine with me.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Serving Our Country!

Yeah, good point. Just doesn't seem right if the problems not fixed.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yeah, I learned my lesson the hard way on the deductible. Don't sign the papers or accept the truck until you are satisfied it's fixed even if you have to take it out a few hours to find out. If they close the ticket, you're scr*wed and have to pay the 100 again.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Oilfield Trash

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ok how can a head gasket cause overheating??/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.