Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

help

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  nylyon 
#1 ·
were is the icp sensor on a 2003 and does anyone have any tips on replacing it

#2 ·
The icp sensor on the old style 6.0s is on the hpop cover. I cant give you any tips on replacing it but from what Ive seen on this site doing anything in that part of the engine is pretty hard.

#3 · (Edited)
I just did mine this past weekend, here's my 2 cents worth. I used these directions.
First the tools:
10mm sockets. I used a combination of 3/8 drive and 1/4 drive with multiple extensions and both deep and regular sockets.
13mm socket. Again 3/8 drive and 1/4 drive both deep and regular.
1 1/16" 1/2" deep socket cut to just fit over the ICP. I used the new ICP as a gauge and cut to size.
Finally, patience.

Procedure
You need to get to the sensor. Removing the heat shield is the frustrating part but not hard. You're working in cramped area and you'll keep thinking that it's got to be easier from the top. Save yourself the time, it isn't unless you remove a lot more stuff. All work is from under the truck, I didn't remove the transmission filler tube but understand why they say to so depending on your arm size it is something to consider.

Remove the 3 (2x10mm and 1x13mm) bolts holding on the heat shield. I used the 3/8" to break them lose, then the 1/4" with various extension / socket combinations to take them out. For the right most bolt, I got it from the left side of the transmission up and over the bell housing. That is the bolt that was the most difficult, but if you remove the trans filler tube it has to be better. Be patient, you'll get them out, it really isn't all that bad.

Once the bolts are out, you'll be able to slide the heat shield completely out, and you'll see the sensor. Slide up the wirecover and unclip the wiring, I didn't need any tools for the wires. Be careful, there is a rubber boot which may drop down, you'll need this if you're not replacing the wiring too.

Using your modified socket, remove the sensor (it's really that easy) The hardest part of removing the sensor was getting the ratchet lined up to slip into the socket. Once done, it came right out with no problems.

Put a little clean oil on the new sensor o-ring and screw it in. You probably won't be able to see, but you'll feel where it goes and it will go right in. If you're not replacing the wires wipe them down with a rag to get any leftover oil off, slide the rubber boot onto the wire plug (not into the sensor) then re-install the wire.

Put the heat shield back on, you'll be amazed at how easily you can now reach the bolts from the lessons learned taking it off previously. And you're done.

It is by no means difficult, just working that heat shield off can be a little frustrating, but you'll get it. I was tempted several times to climb into the engine compartment, save yourself the time, you can't get to ANY of the bolts or sensor from in there so go from the bottom and :grd:

edit: It took me about 2 hours to do it, and I would say 1 hour of that was sitting there thinking of how to remove the bolts from under the hood. If I were to do it again, it would probably take 30 minutes or less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.