Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

i give up

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  KYSkipper 
#1 ·
I am blowing my 10amp fuse for my stereo pwr windows and map light.
Sometimes as soon as i put it in some times 2 hrs. Took it to ford twice they keep puting a new fuse in and it works so they call it good. Been driving ford for 13 years and loseing hope in the service anyway. If anyone has a clue that woul be great.

Dan.T

#2 ·
What year truck? Sounds like a short somewhere?

#3 ·
Oh ya WELCOME to the forum from the Night Crew! Sit a spell and you have allot of checking out to do!:chicken:

#4 ·
I found home

My truck is an 07 , thanks for the welcome my pleasure though. Aside from the problam I have been looking for the place to get info for 2 months online.Freind of mine is on the duramax version and said we had our own place so that led to an argument and a 1000$ bet in the spring so now i need to find out how to win I have a big mouth but i know he will go down. If you do have any clue about my prob its a 07 250 powerstroke only wireing touched would have been a trailor hitch

#5 ·
i REALLY HATE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS! i AM NOT SURE BUT PRIVATE MESSAGE MARC AND MAYBE HE CAN HELP YA. IF NOT I'LL BUMP THIS POST IN THE MORNING WHEN ALL THE OTHER GUYS GET IN. WHERE AT IN ALBERTA ARE YA? I OWN A CABIN IN WAWA ONTARIO. BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY UP THERE! I WOULD LOVE TO COME DUCK OR DEER HUNT IN ALBERTA!

#6 ·
Does It Happen After Ya Hit The Brakes Or Just Anytime?

#8 ·
The area around my cabin has some of the best moose hunting in all of Canada. Most of the cows have twins every year. I am about 200 miles south of Hearst which is the moose capital of Ontario and maybe all of Canada. I love it up there. Check out this link.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5922

#10 ·
Wow! That's A Haul For You! It Just Sucks Now Cuz Coming From The States We Have To Have A Passport And They Are Making It Hard For Us To Come Up! In The End It Will Only Hurt Your Tourist Season!

#11 ·
I Am Going To Bump This Up For This Guy! Hopefully Someone Can Help Him!

#13 ·
Hey there OldRivers,
Look, I had a similar problem on my CrewCab 4x4 Euro Mack truck. I battled it for awhile, put in a larger fuse... Now what it was, is on one of the window winders, it was slightly mismanufactured. The larger current draw was because that particular one dragged. I would run multiple windows up and down, and did not notice until it quit as I had them all on the same panel on the drivers side.. . See if you can isolate it to one window blowing the fuse. The window winder might still work, like mine did, but has just enough drag to be right on the edge of blowing the fuse???? Anyway, see if you can isolate the problem, is it the stereo, or is it the windows. Run them up and down a few times each, then turn on the stereo up loud and do it again. It might just be the combination, stereo pulling power to push one window over the edge of just a little too much power for the 10 amp fuse....

You might be able to isolate the problem, that is the first part of a good fix...
In my case it was a defective winder motor assembly. Hey little bits can happen to anyone.. Ranger:D

#14 ·
Bumping This One Back Up For This Gentlemen. Maybe One Of You Guys Could Have A Clue For Him.

#15 ·
Lets see if I can help solve this bird:

First of all, fuses rarely blow over time. It's an instantaneous thing. You have to draw over 10 amps to blow a 10 amp fuse. Drawing 5 amps for 10 hours or 40 hours won't do it.

You say the map light and window motor are on the circuit. Is anything else?

Most likely, if your short was in the map light wiring, it would have to be between the switch and the bulb or else the fuse would blow immediately upon insertion. If it's between the switch and the light, it would blow when the light is turned on. I don't know if your map light has a door switch as well as a manual switch to turn it off and on. If a door switch is involved, the fuse could blow when opening and closing the door.

If you have a bad window motor, I would think that the fuse would blow when the motor was activated by the switch. Are by chance the door locks on the same circuit.

If you can figure out which plugs go to the window motors, unplug them then use a $15 multimeter that can read continuity. Touch one lead to the appliance side of the fuse holder with the fuse removed, touch the other end to the positive pole on the map switch. The meter should beep. Now, with the one lead still on the appliance side of the fuse holder, touch the other lead to a ground (about any metal under the dash). If it beeps you have found the circuit with the short. It should not beep. Try switching the map light on and off with the switch (you'll need to have it on to check the circuit from the beginning).

You should also check your window motors for a short. stick a lead in the plug you unplugged and another to ground, it should not beep. If it does, you know the short is in the window motor. One problem checking the window motor that way is, if you switch the motor on, you will have a link to ground and your test won't tell you anything.

Skipper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.