2006 Powerstroke, changed almost everything, including mechanics, still runs on 6. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 Powerstroke, changed almost everything, including mechanics, still runs on 6.

All right guys. This is a challenging one.

About me. Super comfortable on gas engines, have repaired all phases. Total neophyte to diesels, but I have read voraciously on the subject since I have had 6.0s. (I own a company that has 4 of them.)

The patient:

2006 F450 6.0.
Holed a piston in the original motor in August. Bought a low mileage long block with studs and new HG installed. Pulled the cab, swapped the motor in the first week of September. Truck hasn't run since. Installed a EGR delete kit, and new oil cooler. Proceeded to have a ton of HPO issues, turned out the Ford tech I paid cash to help me double stacked the HPOP intake o-ring...

Now that the HPO issues are sorted, the truck still clearly runs on six. I get a Cyl contribution code, either for cyl. 2 or cyl. 4. I can unplug 2 or 4 while running, and it doesn't change the miss but it does change the underhood sound. When those two injectors are plugged in, I get a distinct ding, ding, ding metallic sound. I replaced injector 2. No change. I changed injector two again, thinking perhaps I had gotten a bad one. When I started to back the injector out of the head, a jet of hot oil shot out of the back of the injector directly into my eye. Once replaced, no change, same noises.

Now I am thinking FICM issues. I have 48v across the board. My company has several 6.0 trucks, including another 06 that runs like a raped ape. I started to cannibalize it for parts. I swapped the ficm. No change. Swapped the ficm harness. No change.

I had a diag done at the stealership, and all they could tell me was the same thing my trusty ELM 327 and Torque app does. Codes for contribution on cyls 2 and 4, and a egr code. (egr deleted.)

The truck has new dummy plugs, new stand pipes, new HPOP, new IPR. Ford scan tool says there isn't a compression issue, but I have not tested it manually. At an idle, it has ~600lb of HPO, and the IPR duty cycle is 26% at an idle. It has all new filters everywhere.

At this point I am a little lost. The last things I can imagine changing are the main harness, and the pcm.

observations:

1. Oil jet to the face out of a new injector.
Is it possible the spool valve is only being driven one way, not allowing the high pressure oil out? As a result, could the ping ping ping noise from the valve cover be "water hammer" in the HPO? Is there a way to test if both solenoids on the injector are receiving the appropriate signal?

I have hundreds of hours and thousands (about ten of them) of dollars into this motor. I need it back, and need it NOW. Another 6.0, an 04, just blew the head gaskets today, and we are out of trucks to complete jobs. I am planning on buying an AutoEnginuity setup tomorrow, as well as a main engine harness. During the engine install, I noted that the harness was rubbed thru to copper in a couple places, but I repaired them on the work bench correctly using splices, solder and shrink tube. (I am a electrical contractor that specializes in instrumentation and controls.)

Anything you guys can suggest would be great. I am at my wits end on this one.

Thank You in advance.

Arin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update:

Changed main engine wiring harness (What a b**ch.) No change. Bought autoenginuity, Still getting a code for cyl2 contribution. P0288.

This is my power balance graph...

Are my eyes deceiving me or is it speeding up on the offending cyl? Could this be a sign of low mechanical compression? If so, wouldnt an injector dumping unburnt fuel make it smoke like mad?

Thanks. I really need the help on this one.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would be doing a compression check on that thing before I swapped too many other parts. Good diagnosis goes a long ways towards saving money.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Bump To Pass!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpott62 View Post
I would be doing a compression check on that thing before I swapped too many other parts. Good diagnosis goes a long ways towards saving money.
OH MY GOD...YES!!!! If only everyone understood this!!!! Most people I run into with my shop don't want to pay for diag.

I agree I would start with a compression test. Have you swapped FICM harnesses yet?
Old 11-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do you know the history on the engine you installed? Only high pressure oil coming out of injector might have been oil from cylinder under pressure from valves being closed as oil rail was already off. Comp test would next best thing to do. Hopefully whoever sold you that motor gave some sort of warranty with it.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by toren302 View Post
OH MY GOD...YES!!!! If only everyone understood this!!!! Most people I run into with my shop don't want to pay for diag.

I agree I would start with a compression test. Have you swapped FICM harnesses yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscathouse70 View Post
Do you know the history on the engine you installed? Only high pressure oil coming out of injector might have been oil from cylinder under pressure from valves being closed as oil rail was already off. Comp test would next best thing to do. Hopefully whoever sold you that motor gave some sort of warranty with it.
Thanks for the responses, guys. The log block I bought came with a six month warranty, from NW Custom Diesel in Seattle, which is ~400 miles from me and it costs a lot to ship a 12k lb F450 400mi... I was told that the motor had had a valve job because the shop that assembled the long block wasn't happy with it as it was. It then had new Ford gaskets and studs (can't remember the brand, silver ones...) was compression tested, then I came up and they loaded it in the back of my truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.