Oil in coolant ! again - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-05-2008, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil in coolant ! again

Hi, I know there is many post on this but ..

Yesterday I did flush my coolant because of that black (Chocolate Milk) substances in the Degas bottle! It just dont smell oil at all but looks like it !
After dropping the whole coolant I can tell there is at least 5 or 6 quart of that stuff in the whole system floating on top! and Underneath RED Coolant! I did read RED collant is bad for those engine, it need to have the Motorcraft Premium Gold. Could it be only BAD coolant that did react ??

To get 5 or 6 quart of oil in the coolant it would have to draw 5 or 6 quart of oil from the engine ??? thats not the case ! I may say my truck did consume about 2 quart in 1 year (amsoil synthetic 15w40 marine diesel). Also my Degas bottle is not overfilling , its stay constant at the MIN line.

This week I am changing my engine oil ! For now I run water only in my cooling system to clean it as much I as can ! And try to find a solution before putting new coolant in it !

Could it be transmission oil ??

Many post are saying Oil Cooler, Injectors cups, .. but these would make the engine oil go down and the coolant level UP ???

Thanks for the help !
Flobber is offline  
post #2 of 15 Old 08-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
most likely your oil cooler took a dump there comain oil coolers also cause overheating when they become clogged.dont run straight water only for a long time then the egr cooler will go bad.hope you still under warrenty if not theyll charge you like 10 hours plus parts
hemford is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 08-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Powerstroke Techie

 
m-chan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemford View Post
most likely your oil cooler took a dump there comain oil coolers also cause overheating when they become clogged.dont run straight water only for a long time then the egr cooler will go bad.hope you still under warrenty if not theyll charge you like 10 hours plus parts
For this kind of problem, definitely A LOT more than 10 hours depending on the severity of the failure. If it has gotten to as bad as described above, it will most definitely require an oil cooler replacement to start. That alone is worth about 12 to 14 hours labour, let alone the multiple flushings required to clean out the entire cooling system, and the additional parts that will need replacing more likely than not. The worst case of this type of failure I've encountered persosnally had Ford telling me to outright replace the engine and EVERYTHING that coolant passes through. This meant both the heater core and rad, as well as ALL rubber coolant hoses, EGR cooler and the degas bottle. The justification for this, once that substance gets baked onto the coolant passages in the engine block, it hardens up and cakes on there to the point where you will never be able to flush it all out. On a couple of these failures, I elected to replace the cooler and flush out the entire system using just straight water and two Cascade dishwasher tablets about 6 times, while driving it under a heavy load in between flushes. After the 6th flush, I refilled system back to proper spec with the gold coolant only to have still a slight film of oil on top of the coolant by the time the trucks returned for their next oil changes.

http://www.yorkdaleford.com/service.html

Ford Diesel/Senior/Master Tech who placed 2nd overall in Ontario on the Fix-It-Right-First-Visit score for 2010

....who works at a dealership that now employs SOME half decent looking female employees since they overhauled most of the administrative staff

....but STILL loves hot women with big boobies

....and STILL hates working on E-Series with 6.0L
m-chan68 is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 08-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Mob boss

 
Jarrod B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 26,948
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Thanks: 25
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
For this kind of problem, definitely A LOT more than 10 hours depending on the severity of the failure. If it has gotten to as bad as described above, it will most definitely require an oil cooler replacement to start. That alone is worth about 12 to 14 hours labour, let alone the multiple flushings required to clean out the entire cooling system, and the additional parts that will need replacing more likely than not. The worst case of this type of failure I've encountered persosnally had Ford telling me to outright replace the engine and EVERYTHING that coolant passes through. This meant both the heater core and rad, as well as ALL rubber coolant hoses, EGR cooler and the degas bottle. The justification for this, once that substance gets baked onto the coolant passages in the engine block, it hardens up and cakes on there to the point where you will never be able to flush it all out. On a couple of these failures, I elected to replace the cooler and flush out the entire system using just straight water and two Cascade dishwasher tablets about 6 times, while driving it under a heavy load in between flushes. After the 6th flush, I refilled system back to proper spec with the gold coolant only to have still a slight film of oil on top of the coolant by the time the trucks returned for their next oil changes.

Then Ford needs to rethink the oil cooler setup. I am going through some of that problem right now. Use Cascade in the coolant system with water and do a lot of rinses.

2006 Ford F250 CCSB FX4 6.0




Sold
1997 F350 CCLB 2WD 7.3
1999 F350 CCLB 4WD 7.3
2003 F350 CCLB FX4 6.0
Jarrod B is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 08-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
For this kind of problem, definitely A LOT more than 10 hours depending on the severity of the failure.
at my dealership the writers are cheap and try to get the labor low as they can.
hemford is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 08-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Powerstroke Techie

 
m-chan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bockhold View Post
Then Ford needs to rethink the oil cooler setup. I am going through some of that problem right now. Use Cascade in the coolant system with water and do a lot of rinses.
I couldn't agree more. But let's not forget that it's not a Ford engine. It's a Navistar engine. As things stand right now, the relationship between Ford and Navistar are OVER because of the 6.0L fiasco, and the high warranty claims cost that Ford is having a major dispute with, over who's paying. For this reason, Ford is in the process of developing their first in-house built diesel for 2010 called the "Scorpion" engine, which is intended to replace the current 6.4L Navistar unit. If this pans out, that will end the relationship between the two that has existed since mid 1982. We can only hope it turns out well.

http://www.yorkdaleford.com/service.html

Ford Diesel/Senior/Master Tech who placed 2nd overall in Ontario on the Fix-It-Right-First-Visit score for 2010

....who works at a dealership that now employs SOME half decent looking female employees since they overhauled most of the administrative staff

....but STILL loves hot women with big boobies

....and STILL hates working on E-Series with 6.0L
m-chan68 is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 08-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Mob boss

 
Jarrod B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 26,948
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Thanks: 25
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I wonder if Ford will keep the Power Stroke name or come up with something eelse.

2006 Ford F250 CCSB FX4 6.0




Sold
1997 F350 CCLB 2WD 7.3
1999 F350 CCLB 4WD 7.3
2003 F350 CCLB FX4 6.0
Jarrod B is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is there any procedure to test an oil cooler by ourselves at home ?

If it is a bad oil cooler why only the oil goes into the coolant and the coolant is not going into the oil ! Is that because of the different liquid pressure ?

Thx
Flobber is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke Techie

 
m-chan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobber View Post
Is there any procedure to test an oil cooler by ourselves at home ?

If it is a bad oil cooler why only the oil goes into the coolant and the coolant is not going into the oil ! Is that because of the different liquid pressure ?

Thx
It all comes back to the fundamental basics of engine operation. Cooling system pressures are typically between 15 to 18 psi depending operating conditions. Lube oil pressure varies widely depending on engine load, but much higher than cooling system pressure none-the-less.

http://www.yorkdaleford.com/service.html

Ford Diesel/Senior/Master Tech who placed 2nd overall in Ontario on the Fix-It-Right-First-Visit score for 2010

....who works at a dealership that now employs SOME half decent looking female employees since they overhauled most of the administrative staff

....but STILL loves hot women with big boobies

....and STILL hates working on E-Series with 6.0L
m-chan68 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Mob boss

 
Jarrod B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 26,948
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Thanks: 25
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The dealer told me the oil pressure is much higher than the coolant. So the bottle will fill up with oil.

2006 Ford F250 CCSB FX4 6.0




Sold
1997 F350 CCLB 2WD 7.3
1999 F350 CCLB 4WD 7.3
2003 F350 CCLB FX4 6.0
Jarrod B is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome