Easy Immobilizer, Invention Courtesy Lone Ranger in Oz... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Easy Immobilizer, Invention Courtesy Lone Ranger in Oz...

Well, my apologies, I spent more time asking for a good answer by about 20 times than the ten minutes it took to get off my a** and pop the bonnet, (hood in your lingo)..

I was looking for something electrical to divert to a hidden off switch, that would eliminate fuel. Marc was nice enough to run me throught the chassis fuel pump, but that was a dead end. The main engine fuel pump will pull through that unit, the chassis pump is a fuel water separator, and delivery pump to the engine like a power bleeder in case you run out of fuel...

Anyway, I was looking for something to interrupt, but the size of wire was all toooo big, like the main fuel pump, and the IDM (Injector Driver Module). Heck, the IDM runs on a 50 amp fuse!! Wire to a switch would have to be cable about the diameter of a pencil to a MASSIVE switch... So no...

WHAT I FOUND was Ford knows this all to well, and runs the switching for the IDM on a Relay.. Now I digress for a minute for those that do not know the reason for a relay. It allows a small current (and small wire) to run a bigger swith (with much bigger wire) from a remote location. It works by powering up a small wire coil to suck in the contact for a bigger switch, or in techno conditions small wire to run a larger electronic switch, same principle.

So, the IDM has a Relay. The IDM is on a 50 amp fuse (huge) the Relay is on a 10 amp fuse (small). You have the option of interrupting the IDM Relay wire anywhere you can find it. All I have accomplished so far is to locate the IDM relay fuse in the Power Distribution Box, pull the ten amp fuse, and She will not start. For now, I will just pop the bonnet and pull the fuse when I leave the truck in a remote location, until I can locate easy access to the power wire that runs the relay. Break that somewhere under the hood, not the ingnition as that is the first place they will look before the big cut and run.... Break that under the hood with a hidden switch somewhere, and you have a foolproof Immobilizer that most Professionals would not be able to find....

Heck most Techies would have trouble finding it.

Maybe Marc can find an access point, or I will tune in next week and try and find one, but mine point may not be yours as my truck has a new firewall, AC moved up, new Drivers side controls so a lot has been moved. If the access is impossible, one can alway break the fuse, solder in wires, put another fuse holder in line for 10 amp fuse, and switch that line. Someone would have to be smart enough to search the whole engine over, and they probably would not stumble on looking in the Power Distribution Box to see the two wires going to an interrupted fuse. A Professional or even dirtbag thief is just not going to risk taking the time..

But maybe Marc and I can find a better access point, UNDER THE HOOD.. Don't make the mistake of doing it around the easy access point of wires around the ignition or in the cab as that is the first place they would tear into to try and hotwire the ignition...

Thank all of you for your help and Friendship, I will endeavor to do the same for you... And come on down, the beer is on me..

Australia, and loving my new King Ranch!!! Better than 10 Vargas Girls...! Ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2006, 07:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yup, works like a Treat!

Cut the fuse in half, soldered wire to each half if the IDM 10 amp relay fuse in the Power Distribution box, put an inline 10 amp fuse in it and ran it to a hidden switch...

Switch thrown, dead truck, no startee no matter what.... Cheeeep,
and resonably fool proof. They might get by the alarm, or have a master key, or some other electronic bypass, but I doubt they are going to be out there with the bonnet up long enough to figure out this one... Anyone wanting a cheep immobilizer so you truck is still there when you leave it somewhere, this is it. And EZ...

Ranger in Oz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.