2006 Won't start and no smoke! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 Won't start and no smoke!

Just when I thought I was getting to the bullet proof part of my truck...

So I recently got a 2006 f350 6.0 with 100k, 5inch, no computer mods, sinister coolant filter and egr.

The truck just recently got 2 injectors replaced, 1 and 8. Been driving great and starting fine, takes usually 5 seconds to start but always reliable. Today I went out to start it and let the plugs warm up for a bit as usual, and got nothing but a solid crank for as long as I turn the key.? No smoke out the pipe, the oil pressure gauge doesn't move, and at the 5 second mark where it would usually start, it lags for a second but stays at about 1.5 rpm. I unplugged the icp sensor and got nothing. I am going to test the FICM soon but havent yet.

Any suggestions??? I need the truck to work and live of course!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Got an update.

Hooked up a ScanGauge 2 and found the FICM voltage is working just fine. But my ICP was very very low. Had it towed to the local ford dealership and mechanic said that the Hpop was bad and wouldnt really elaborate. Is there any change that maybe the STC is bad and that is what is causing the problem? If so, that would be much much better than having to buy a $700 Hpop and towning it again to my shop to tear her apart.

Any thoughts on how to test this?
Old 10-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have been doing these for a while and have never seen a bad hpop on the 04-07 motor. check the fitting, the ipr screen, and dummy plugs. those are way more common and way less money.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just to let you know, I have it at my shop now.. I made the mistake of taking it to Ford first and they wanted to replace EVERYTHING. So tomorrow I am going to take out the pump. Before I took it to Ford I have about 30-100 ICP and now that it got towed to my shop it is at 0...?

I bought the upgrade OEM kit that has the STC, Blue spring, ect

One more thing, is there a screen besides the IPR valve I should check?
Old 10-31-2013, 11:07 AM

nope, just that one. and just remember, its not the busted screen that makes you lose pressure. its what went through the screen and got stuck in the ipr that is the issue. you will need to clean it. what exactly does your kit come with?
Old 10-31-2013, 11:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am going to start the break down in a couple hours.

I bought:

Banjo Bolts

Rev X oil and fuel additive

The OEM kit which comes with:
STC HPOP Fitting Update Kit (could cause a no hot start issue within the high pressure oil system)

Blue Spring Kit (keeps more fuel in the lines by decreasing return pressure by 10%)

Updated Oil Drain Tube (Original drain tube was very restrictive, keeping hot oil in the turbo)

Stand Pipe/Dummy Plug Kit (Often the cause of a "No hot start" issue)

Degas Bottle Cap (The most important part on a 6.0, keeping cooling system pressures in check.)

Turbo Feed Line (Factory drain line had a steel braided portion, update is a solid steel design)

When I take out my HPOP, what should I look for exactly? And where
Old 10-31-2013, 11:24 AM

the stc fitting at the back will wiggle pretty good if its leaking. the lower o ring on the dummy plugs blows out, so check that. that and the ipr thing I told you about. those are the only things that will cause a no start.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

5 seconds to start before you had problems was already a sign of a high pressure oil leak. I agree with the above, especially dummy plugs and stand pipes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-31-2013, 04:39 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
here is how the oil works
Lubrication System - Low-Pressure

Low-Pressure Oil Flow
The lubrication system is pressure regulated, cooled, and full flow filtered. In addition to providing engine lubrication, it supplies oil to the high pressure oil system to control fuel delivery in the fuel injectors.

The following sequence describes lube oil flow through the major oil system components:
Oil pan (sump).
Oil pick-up tube and screen.
The low pressure oil pump is a gerotor type contained in the front cover. The gerotor assembly consists of an outer and an inner gear. The inner gear is driven by the crankshaft. The pump inlet and outlet passages are through ports in the front cover.
Oil pressure regulator (bypass) controls lube oil pressure via a spring loaded plunger relieving oil back to the inlet of the pump once operating pressure has exceeded 517 kPa (75 psi) .
The oil cooler cover receives oil from the oil pump and cools it in the oil cooler, which is located underneath the oil cooler housing.
The cooler bypass valves open in the event that the oil cooler base and/or cooler becomes restricted.
The oil filter housing contains a paper type element. Unfiltered oil flows up and around the outside of the filter and then down through the center standpipe.
The oil filter bypass allows oil to pass directly to the main oil gallery should the filter become restricted.
Turbocharger and drive gears.
Cooled and filtered oil supplied from the oil cooler base lubricates the turbocharger bearings and provides hydraulic pressure for the Electronic Variable Response Turbocharger (EVRT) control valve. Oil drains from the turbocharger through a drain tube back to the high pressure hydraulic pump cover.
Main galleries. Cooled and filtered oil supplied from the oil cooler base fills the main galleries to distribute oil to the following components via passages machined within the crankcase.
1 Hydraulic cam followers.
2 Camshaft main journals.
3 Crankshaft main journals.
4 Connecting rod bearings receive pressurized oil from the main bearings via drilled passages within the crankshaft.
5 Rocker arms receive their lube oil from the hydraulic cam followers via the push rods. Oil drains back to the sump through holes located in the cylinder head.
6 Piston cooling tubes.
High pressure hydraulic pump oil reservoir.
This reservoir (below oil cooler) has a constant supply of oil for the pressure hydraulic oil pump. It has an approximate capacity of 0.9 L (0.95 qt.) .
Lubrication System - High-Pressure - Early Build

Lubrication System - High-Pressure - Late Build

High-pressure Oil Flow
The high pressure oil system is composed of two subsystems:
Injection Control Pressure (ICP) system
Fuel injector assembly
The hydraulic force necessary to inject fuel into the combustion chamber is provided by the ICP system. The fuel injectors on the engine are hydraulically actuated and electronically controlled.

The ICP system is composed of the following components:
Oil reservoir
Hydraulic pump assembly (high-pressure)
Hydraulic pump cover
High-pressure tubes and hoses
High-pressure rail assemblies
Injection Control Pressure (ICP) sensor
Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR) valve
Check valves
The high-pressure hydraulic pump receives engine lube oil from a reservoir cast into the vee of the crankcase. This reservoir makes available a constant supply of engine oil from the pump. This reservoir is constantly refilled by the low-pressure lube oil system with filtered oil from a passage in the oil cooler housing.

The high-pressure hydraulic pump is mounted at the rear of the crankcase and is driven by the camshaft gear. Oil is drawn from the oil reservoir through a 150 micron screen and into a passage to the pump inlet port. High-pressure oil from the pump is distributed to the injectors through a series of pipes and hoses.

The high-pressure discharge tube is mounted to the pump and serves to connect the oil flow from the high-pressure hydraulic pump to the rear engine tube assembly. This tube assembly divides oil flow into two pipes or branches, one for each side of the engine. Rigid pipes thread into each branch and direct oil up into the rocker carrier of each cylinder head. Flexible hoses with quick disconnect ends connect the ridge pipes to check valves, which are mounted on each of the oil rails assemblies. Oil from the rails enter the injectors through O-ring sealed ports at the top of each injector. When the injector opening coil is energized, high-pressure oil is used to push fuel into the combustion chamber. After injection is complete, the oil inside the injector is vented through the top portion of the injector and allowed to drain back to the oil sump.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:42 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
here is the procedure for a late build hpop
Oil Pump - Late Build

OIL PUMP - LATE BUILD

Dial Indicator With Bracketry

SPECIAL TOOL(S)

REMOVAL
Remove the intake manifold.

Remove the turbocharger adapter pipe.

Secure the turbocharger outlet pipe.

Remove the turbocharger heat shield.

Remove the bolts and the high-pressure oil pump cover.
Use a thin gasket scraper to separate the cover from the crankcase.
Remove and discard the press-in-place gasket.

Position the dial indicator with bracketry onto the oil pump drive and check the oil pump drive gear backlash.

Remove the bolts from the high-pressure oil pump discharge pipe. Position the high-pressure discharge pipe aside.

Remove and discard the high-pressure pump O-ring seal.

Remove the bolts and the high-pressure oil pump.

Remove and discard the lower O-ring seal.
INSTALLATION

Install a new lower O-ring seal.

Install the high-pressure oil pump and bolts.

Install the high-pressure pump O-ring seal.

Position back the high-pressure discharge tube and install the bolts.

Position the dial indicator with bracketry onto the oil pump drive and check the oil pump drive gear backlash.

Install a new D-ring seal on the high-pressure discharge pipe.

Install a new press-in-place gasket in the high-pressure pump cover.

Clean the cover mounting surface and apply sealer at the seams.

Install the high-pressure pump cover and bolts.

Install the turbocharger heat shield.

Position the turbocharger adapter pipe.

NOTE: Do not torque the nuts and bolts until after the turbocharger is installed and attached.
Loosely install the nuts and bolts in the adapter pipe.

Release and position the turbocharger outlet pipe.
Install the intake manifold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.