04 Ford f350 6.0l diesel HELP needed SOS !!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 Ford f350 6.0l diesel HELP needed SOS !!!

I have a friend in europe with this truck which was shipped to him from the US. Here are the sympthoms : truck strarts perfectly good, runs for about 15 minutes then dies. can not restart, nothing for about 30-40 minutes when it all dissapears and it starts and runs again for an another 15 minutes when it dies again.
list of items replaced :
- fuel pump
- fuel filter
- pressure regulator
- pressure sensor
- exhaust temp switch (pressure sensor)
- injector ( 1 of them only)

nothing has made any difference, all the same as 2 months ago when this started to happen.
Please if you have any idea, let me know. a computer reflash is almost impossible as the truck is in europe and none of the dealership has access to the 6.0l Diesel informations.

thank you !

Laszlo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2006, 07:06 PM
The Fat Mod

To POWERSTROKE.ORG

Last edited by Logan; 11-02-2006 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Banned

the news i have for you isnt good. My hunch tells me the quick connect fitting at the high pressue oil pump has blown out and that when the oil thins out......it then wont hold pressure in the high pressure oil system (this is what drives the injectors)....

Without a scan tool to monitor ICP (injector controll pressure) i cant honestly say for sure, but this would be the most common reason...
Old 11-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks but the high pressrue pump was replaced as well !

is there any way to find this w/o the computer ? what do we have to replace ? High pressrue pump is new, so I just need the connector ? which one the one before the pump ?
Old 11-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Banned

pump should have come with a new quick connect....are you sure it got fully hooked up?? honestly without a scan tool there are to many places to look for your problem and not enough sensor information without it...
Old 11-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

it is difficult to say. I'm in the US and he is in Europe. I sold him all the parts and he started out as not enough fuel pressure so we slowly but surely replaced all the parts in that line - filter, pressure sensor, pumps, etc.
then I found out about that exhaust heat sensor and we did that, nothing. I don't want to sell him anything else that is not needed but the shop who did the work also just scratching their head. They have seen the 7.3D and serviced that but this engine is too new. What do you think they shuld check ? Fuel pressure as cold and at hot ? If the pressure is constant what else can it be ? It seems like something is shutting the engine down after it is fully warmed up. Until it cools down again, no restart. If this would be a 6.5TD GM then I'd say the Stanadyne unit went wacko. typical problem with that GM diesel. Could we looking at a similar problem ?
Old 11-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Happened to me.....

Now this is a long shot.... I mean waaaaaaaay out in left field.. But after twenty years on yachts all over the world, exactly that, has happened to me.. even in about the exact timing...

Try a test with the Fuel tank cap off.. See if that cures it.. I mean this is a way out shot, but on one of my larger yachts a DownEast 45 Pilot House Ketch I picked up out long term storage, wasps had plugged the tank vents. It would run for a while, about 15 minutes, until it drew enough suction that it could not pull fuel anymore then die... Let it set for a half hour and enough air leaked in, that after cranking a bit, it would fire again.. Drove me crazy until I figured it out..

Look it is only about a 1 in 1000 chance. But in Shipping, wasps plugged up the vent? Possible? In places in Africa, the mud dauber wasps have been known to plug a rifle barrel with disastrous results.. (You check your barrel each morning) Ha! Anyway, worth a try before you tear into the whole engine.. Wouldn't it be WONDERFUL if that was all it was....

Ranger in Oz...
Old 11-02-2006, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
Now this is a long shot.... I mean waaaaaaaay out in left field.. But after twenty years on yachts all over the world, exactly that, has happened to me.. even in about the exact timing...

Try a test with the Fuel tank cap off.. See if that cures it.. I mean this is a way out shot, but on one of my larger yachts a DownEast 45 Pilot House Ketch I picked up out long term storage, wasps had plugged the tank vents. It would run for a while, about 15 minutes, until it drew enough suction that it could not pull fuel anymore then die... Let it set for a half hour and enough air leaked in, that after cranking a bit, it would fire again.. Drove me crazy until I figured it out..

Look it is only about a 1 in 1000 chance. But in Shipping, wasps plugged up the vent? Possible? In places in Africa, the mud dauber wasps have been known to plug a rifle barrel with disastrous results.. (You check your barrel each morning) Ha! Anyway, worth a try before you tear into the whole engine.. Wouldn't it be WONDERFUL if that was all it was....

Ranger in Oz...
Interesting, hope it helps him out!
Old 11-02-2006, 07:47 PM
M4 in my tool box

another left fielder!

In the fleet I maintain we had some craiziness happen when the EGR goes bad... everything from no starts to no shift from the 1-2 solenoid so that might be something to look at!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Jon

Gonna have to go with Marc

Just had one I put a pump in today that had the same symptoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.