nightmare - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 02:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
nightmare

Is diagnosing these motors guesswork? Two months ago my truck wouldn't start. I had it towed to the garage and the checked it out, They said I had two bad injectors....should just change them all...they put it all back together and it is still screwed up....cyl#3 is dead....they checked to see if it had a bent pushrod but, said they couldn't. They needed to pull the engine? OK? The truck is an 06 e series van. Looks like a nightmare So I said well we need to find out what's wrong and if that's what it takes I guess so. We are already up to about 4 grand for the injector job. So they pulled the engine and I guess the engine ate a lifter and the cam is junk. That's the short story. What I'm wondering now is that a proper diagnoses from the start would have shown a bad #3 cylinder. Because at that point I would have towed the truck home and used it for a shed. It's only worth 20K in good running order maybe and I wasn't expecting to probably spending over 10k and then wait for the next bomb to drop. Last year they got me for 3k because some o-ring failed in the fuel system. This thing is about to make me lose my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013, 03:27 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Sounds to me like you need a different mechanic!
Old 10-25-2013, 03:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What are they doing wrong?

Last edited by nacman; 10-25-2013 at 03:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-25-2013, 03:50 AM
RollinEarly05...now

$3000 because of an O-ring? Worst case senecio it's in the valve cover but shouldn't take but 10-12 hrs max. It's almost impossible to diagnose a motor without any real info... Number 3 cylinder is dead isn't a whole lot to go off of so I can't say if your mechanic is wrong about that one. Just sounds like they waste shop hours guessing what the problem is on your $$$$. A complete head stud job should be around $3000 and $5000 to replace everything but injectors.....
Old 10-25-2013, 03:53 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacman View Post
That's the short story. What I'm wondering now is that a proper diagnoses from the start would have shown a bad #3 cylinder.
Another reason for a different mechanic.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

They think most everything is ok except lifters, cam, injector harness...what would be a fair price for that work? Motor is out..most of the front end is off. So to put it back together or should I just pull the truck and have someone else put a long block in it or just hand over the title and walk?
Old 10-25-2013, 08:34 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinEarly99 View Post
Sounds to me like you need a different mechanic!
I will second that.

Quote:
They think most everything is ok except lifters, cam, injector harness
Did your "mechanic" tell you that at the point where your engine is right now (just the bad lifters/cam), it would be cheaper/faster for you to buy a complete long block? Hell, it just a bit more than an "O-ring" diagnosis/repair at his shop. 6.0 LITER POWERSTROKE™ DIESEL LONG BLOCK - FORD - Products - Blackwater Engines
Old 10-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm going to get copies of the bills and post them. I don't know why they seem to want to screw me on this job....they are telling 10k to buy a long block......most of the long blocks I've seen are under 6k. I'm a pretty easygoing guy. But, I'm about ready to go jail over this bs. I'm not finding any of this amusing at this point.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:04 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Is diagnosing these motors guesswork?
No, not when you choose the right mechanic.
Mechanics that think they know this engine are very different from those that actually do know this engine.
The guy that thinks he knows it will end up charging you for his education. The "$3,000 for an o-ring problem" is the perfect example of this.

It really sucks that you are going through this, but to stop your wallet from bleeding all your cash:

A: Call your current mechanic right now and tell him to cease any more work on your truck.

B: Find a mechanic that already knows the 6.0

C: Call a towing company to pick your truck up from your current mechanic and deliver it to a mechanic that actually knows the engine. Try to get your truck back from them as cheaply as you can. You have already over-paid for his limited 6.0 education.

D: Have new mechanic verify that lifter(s) failed...if not..find out what the real problem is and ask how much it will be to fix it, up front.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

8k....to get back on the road...then I'm going to dump it. Cam,lifters,injectors,glowplug harness, misc. gaskets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.