Looking for suggestions... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for suggestions...

Ok guys Im working on a 03 f450 2wd dump. It has around 120k miles and is fleet maintened and operated by people who really don't have a clue whats going on so let me start with the whole scenario.

-original complaint came in that the truck would randomly shut off and would restart after sitting for a while. Was towed to the shop were we could not get it to act up, however while driving it the truck would really not get up and go,turbo would spool up fine but almost felt like something was holding it back from climbing rpms quickly. (little black smoke from exhaust under hard acceleration)
-had another truck at shop with a brand new ficm in it so I swapped ficms fast to see if that took care of it
- took vehicle out on a long test drive running for parts, sure enough it dies on me. I could get it to restart by unhooking batteries and hooking them back up after sitting for a few mins. drove truck a few more miles died again. had towed back to shop.
-swapped old ficm back into truck, gave other truck its new ficm back.
- did a little research, change IPR, and ICP and harness while I was at it.
- test drove truck again, ran good/smooth but still felt like it lacked power. another guy at shop took for a parts run again. said it started real hard at his last stop and had to give it some throttle to get it to fire.
- the whole time the truck had the ficm from the other truck in it it ran fine and never had any problems starting. so I swapped in a new ficm from ford(reman).
- now the truck does not start at all, or will crank for a very long time, finally come to life, run for maybe 10 mins at idle and start to spit and spudder and then eventually die and not restart.

I was thinking that possibly the new ficm was faulty but it is reading 48v. I also had to put an alternator on it because while checking the ficm voltage I found the alt was not charging, so I replaced alternator and gave batteries a full charge.

So now that it still will not run, Im looking for new ideas, anybody have any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
this to me sounds like an egr valve sticking because it will start after it sits.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
Try this link.
No start issue? Look here.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-25-2013, 05:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

after looking through the link, I removed the egr valve today and cleaned it. was not overly dirty or gummed up like others I have seen. i want to do the egr check on the laptop but I cant get the truck to run long enough to get up to temp. is there a way to manual check the valve by giving it voltage out of the truck? also checked icp pressure and was well over 500. it ran for about ten minutes this morning after starting hard and was a little shaky at idle but not terrible and once i shut it off it now just cranks. I also changed oil and fuel filters along with the engine oil. can anyone help any further? thanks!
Old 10-26-2013, 03:37 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Do you have monitoring for the engine??
A ScangaugeII does a very good job.
It will monitor egr desired and actual position.
ICP should be in the 800 range once started you also need to watch the IPR values. It should be around 20% at idle.
Battery voltage at cranking should be 10+ volts. If you see it below 9 volts it's not going to start because the FICM requires 8.5 to turn itself on.

I know you now are having a no start. The FICM logic board may be your issue. I would do a swap with a FICM you know works. Even if you see 48 volts, it is rare but the logic boards do go bad sometimes.
If you cannot start it with a good FICM you must start looking at icp/ipr. Cranking voltages
Old 10-26-2013, 04:48 AM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Any smoke at idle when it IS running?
Old 10-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey guys I did some further digging and am pretty sure the hpop is causing me the issue. When it runs my icp value is around 750 psi and my desired is 850 psi. My ipr is almost 85%!

On its brother truck i was getting readings of 1100/1100 and 23%

When it will not run my icp is under 500 and my desired is over 1000. Sound like hpop to everyone else?
Old 10-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like a HPOP over heating. Make sure that you put a new oil cooler in it too.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

first, egr will not cause a no start. pull it out or wedge it open, it will run like crap but still run. 03s have a big issue with hpops. so it might be a safe option. not trying to shoot everyone else down or anything, but yeah 03s down have many other places for hp oil leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.