Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: brockport ny
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for suggestions...
Ok guys Im working on a 03 f450 2wd dump. It has around 120k miles and is fleet maintened and operated by people who really don't have a clue whats going on so let me start with the whole scenario.
-original complaint came in that the truck would randomly shut off and would restart after sitting for a while. Was towed to the shop were we could not get it to act up, however while driving it the truck would really not get up and go,turbo would spool up fine but almost felt like something was holding it back from climbing rpms quickly. (little black smoke from exhaust under hard acceleration)
-had another truck at shop with a brand new ficm in it so I swapped ficms fast to see if that took care of it
- took vehicle out on a long test drive running for parts, sure enough it dies on me. I could get it to restart by unhooking batteries and hooking them back up after sitting for a few mins. drove truck a few more miles died again. had towed back to shop.
-swapped old ficm back into truck, gave other truck its new ficm back.
- did a little research, change IPR, and ICP and harness while I was at it.
- test drove truck again, ran good/smooth but still felt like it lacked power. another guy at shop took for a parts run again. said it started real hard at his last stop and had to give it some throttle to get it to fire.
- the whole time the truck had the ficm from the other truck in it it ran fine and never had any problems starting. so I swapped in a new ficm from ford(reman).
- now the truck does not start at all, or will crank for a very long time, finally come to life, run for maybe 10 mins at idle and start to spit and spudder and then eventually die and not restart.
I was thinking that possibly the new ficm was faulty but it is reading 48v. I also had to put an alternator on it because while checking the ficm voltage I found the alt was not charging, so I replaced alternator and gave batteries a full charge.
So now that it still will not run, Im looking for new ideas, anybody have any?