2003 sudden power loss.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 sudden power loss....

Today at 4:37 PM

140K miles. EGR delete, blue spring, coolant filer, FCIM good, injectors replaced.

Issue. Started a couple weeks ago. Happens usually in the first 15-20 minutes of driving. Will go flawlessly after that.
While cruising on highway/freeway (no specific speed) engine cuts out but doesn't die. Gas pedal acts as though it is dead stick. If I continue depressing gas pedal I have to about floor it to get response or maintain speed.
If I let up on gas pedal, it acts as though it resets so if after letting up on pedal I push down on it again, it acts fairly normal. Although it still seems I am giving it more pedal travel than what I did before this issue started.

I have done some reading and have read that issues with the TPS or TPS systems can cause this? But have also heard differences between '03-'04 and '05 and up...cant find much on the earlier 6.0's

Thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok, a couple of discoveries. I noticed the CEL comes on, like a flash. Also, has happened a couple times when I am off the gas pedal, coasting or light braking coming up to a stop sign or red light. It drops down and then catches itself instantaneously....is that what I have seen people describe as farting? Sounds funny but I have read other describe issues and use that term.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Forgot. I noticed tonight it did it and the temp gauge dropped all the way down and came back up.....

Anyone have an idea? Thank you
Old 10-31-2013, 11:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

check codes? could be a dirty MAF or TPS like you said. be careful with the MAF though. just wet a piece of tissue and gently brush away the dirt on the sensor.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok copy that. I am not sure how to check the TPS...although I havent checked for codes yet, hadn't really had the time.
I think I am going to check the FICM too again because it has been a while since Ive checked it and it has gotten worse since then.
Thank you
Old 11-01-2013, 10:25 AM

no problem. id like to know what it is when you fix it
Old 11-02-2013, 06:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Cleaned the MAF...it was filthy but didn't affect anything operationally. I suspect the FICM more now because it is absolutely horrible until the engine gets warm. I drove it today for the first time this week and it took me about 10 tries starting it to get it to stay running. It runs awesome other than that though.....This weekend Ill get some time and do the voltage checks on the FICM and will report back.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok so I got some MAF cleaner. Sprayed MAF, took batteries in for load testing. Batteries test good, going to test the FICM tomorrow after I watch the Seahawks beat up on the Tampa Bay Bucs.
In hind sight, the first time I cleaned the MAF (just wiping it) it helped when engine was hot...no more half a$$ throttle response...however, I still have the starting issues when it is cold and running until at op temp.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:34 PM

did you ever find codes?
Old 11-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No, unfortunately I haven't really had time to take it somewhere with a scanner. I MIGHT get an hour during the week to troubleshoot the FICM. I guess the best way to get the codes is to take it by the Ford dealer? I saw that Autozone has a scan tool they lend out but it looked pretty cheezy, don't know if that would work thoroughly or not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.