04 No start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 No start

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working on this truck I just picked up. 04 6.0 auto. It just died one day and wouldn't restart. Only made 300psi high press oil so it seemed like it would be a simple fix.

Only code worth mentioning is p2617, crank pos sensor. I swapped in a spare from my parts motor, no change except code went away.

It has
Crank,
Good batt's,
60psi fuel,
48V+ Ficm
Brand new HPOP, will build 4k+ psi if the ipr is manually grounded, otherwise will build a max of 350psi.
ICP reads press so I assume its good, swapped one from working truck, no change
IPR assumed good, swapped in a spare, no change.

Swapped pcm from my other 04 6.0, no change, still only building 300-350psi hpo.

Engine harness checked for frayed/cut wires. Looks good
Injector harness check for frayed/cut wires. Again, looks good.

That's where I am at, still no start, wont even fire.

Idea's?

I do not have a way to measure ipr duty cycle. Im going to buy AE, im getting readings from edge insight currently
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 12:21 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedrummer89 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working on this truck I just picked up. 04 6.0 auto. It just died one day and wouldn't restart. Only made 300psi high press oil so it seemed like it would be a simple fix.

Only code worth mentioning is p2617, crank pos sensor. I swapped in a spare from my parts motor, no change except code went away.

It has
Crank,
Good batt's,
60psi fuel,
48V+ Ficm
Brand new HPOP, will build 4k+ psi if the ipr is manually grounded, otherwise will build a max of 350psi.
ICP reads press so I assume its good, swapped one from working truck, no change
IPR assumed good, swapped in a spare, no change.

Swapped pcm from my other 04 6.0, no change, still only building 300-350psi hpo.

Engine harness checked for frayed/cut wires. Looks good
Injector harness check for frayed/cut wires. Again, looks good.

That's where I am at, still no start, wont even fire.

Idea's?

I do not have a way to measure ipr duty cycle. Im going to buy AE, im getting readings from edge insight currently

need 500psi to crank over otherwise no starting... you have a high pressure oil leak somewhere, common places: blank/ dummy plugs, and stand pipes. all located on hpop oil rail.

watch these their not from the infamous powerstrokehelp guy this is a reliable diagnostics video on :crank/ no start issues...

part 1:

part 2:

very very helpful info esp regarding: ipr, icp, and he goes into detail about what a 6.0 needs to just crank and start and how to find root cause of no starts with the 6.0.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The icp reports to the pcm what yor oil pressure is, if it is bad and not telling the pcm the actual pressure it will assume the icp reading is right and will not allow the ficm to fire the injectors no matter how good the oil pressure actually is.

Field test unplug the icp with no signal at all from the icp the pcm will use a default value of around 650 psi and will start. Basically it will lie to itself that it has over the 500 psi min.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think I figured it out after updating my edge so I can read ficm sync and ipr...

Ipr stays flat at 14%... so its not going to make any pressure. Tach on my edge registered for a second and the IPR jumped to 85%.... I thought that odd...

Ficm sync is at 0. That's where my problem is.

Replaced the pigtail on the cam sensor (insulation missing near plug), no change (Ive got lots of spare parts around for these motors)

Inspected the wiring on the crank sensor (see pic, exposed, corroded wiring)... Obviously this is where the problem is.

Now how the heck do I get in there to replace it? Remove the AC compressor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.