6.0 White smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 12:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 White smoke

I'm losing the car behind me at the stop sign in a cloud of white smoke.

Ford 06 6.0 F250. 75K. My initial thought was that my EGR cooler is failing. But it's been a couple months now and I have noticed Zero drop in my coolant reservoir. No milkyness in the oil. I notice no change in power level, If I carefully throttle up I can get by with little smoke. But any heavy start is flat out embarrassing. Smoke disappears after the initial throttle.

Next guess is injector. What is a contribution test and where do I get one?

Any other educated guesses? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 07:04 PM

Well, I didn't get any responses on this, so I just started messing around on my own. I'm either going to learn something about diesels or I'm going to have to sell it and move on.

I purely lucked out on the white smoke. Pulled the EGT valve out and it was full of black soot. Not caked in there but maybe 1/16" all over. I wire brushed it and stuck it back in and now the white smoke issue seems to be gone.

Based on what I've read I bought and installed the blue spring kit and I changed my fuel filters. I also bought an insight edge monitor/programmer,(cs) though I have no idea what to use it for. It does tell me I've got 50V from the FICM, seems good. What do I really want to monitor with this?

Retired, I recently moved to the country. A county that does not require diesel smog checks.
Should I be considering an EGR delete before I start experiencing cooler problems?
Old 10-26-2013, 07:31 PM

An EGR delete is a great thing to do for the 6.0's man. They tend to have problems with them, as you already partially experienced. I had the same issue with an 05 Excursion and it too was the soot build up in the EGR valve. If you have the tools, skills and time, I highly recommend deleting it now before it gets bad again
Old 10-30-2013, 04:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you could also get a bulletproof egr cooler. have a lifetime warrantee. I do tons of them and have never needed to replace them. plus they are 200 less than a ford cooler. and will keep the epa happy in the event you ever need to get it checked. if you delete it, reroute the crank case breather or you will carbon up your intake and it will cake up and you cant stop it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.