2003 F350 6.0 White smoke on cold start only?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 08:00 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 F350 6.0 White smoke on cold start only??

Hey guys, I noticed that the last 2 times I cold started my 6.0 I get a little white smoke from the exhaust for about a sec or 2 and after that the truck just does what it should. Its not like a huge cloud but just a little smoke. It just started recently too within the last 2-3 weeks. I dont drive the truck much only on weekends but seems very abnormal to me. I never had a single issue with the truck since I owned it. I monitored coolant temp and what not but there seems to be nothing wrong with the truck, no power loss no coolant dissapearing no nothing. It smokes a little black when u get on er on the highway but im pretty sure thats normal. Its only on start up when its cold. White smoke Dosnt smell like coolant however the smoke sticks aroud for a while so its not condensation. I pulled the egr last week and I had a hard time getting it out. Its was clogged up. Valve wasnt operating to my knowledge. Egr was dry so was tge intake under it. I cleaned her up and seems to work now. However it didnt fix anything. Still smokes a bit on startup. Just got a new airfiler and truck just had an oil change. Did the fuel filters maybe 500km ago and drained the fuel water seperator. I dont know what might be wrong. The only thing I can think of and I dont want to thing about it is a cracked block. A little crack that lets in coolant when cold and once it warms up crack closes and its all good, only problem with this diagnosis is that the white smoke dosnt smell like coolant. I heard unburnt diesel fuel smokes white? Injectors, turbo? Im at a loss here and need some help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Premium Member

Don't know where you live, but it may be 100% normal since a gasser will do this on start-up as well when cool. A second or 2 is nothing to be concerned about, unless you notice moisture in the intake or smell fuel. Even the fuel smell is nothing to fear if it is very short lived on occasional starts.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:37 PM

Well we have an 09 f150 too but that is just condensation. The 350 definantely smokes because the smoke sticks around for a bit however like said above no hint of coolant. Just smells like diesel. I live in canada. Right now we get around 15 during the day and 2-5 celsius at night. Dosnt matter if I start the truck in 15 degree weather tough it still smokes when its warmer out in the afternoon. It just started happening recently though. Truck has 197k so about 123k miles
Old 10-23-2013, 11:09 AM

Bump! Hoping to figure out what this is. Might be ealry signs to a bigger problem. Also when I start the truck after it sat overnight it starts no problem but it sounds really wierd dadam dadam for a few seconds till it warms up but have had that going on for a while when the weather gets colder and was told thats normal. only recently the white smoke started.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Premium Member

It sounds like stiction issues. Perhaps your injectors are in need of cleaning or replacement.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
It sounds like stiction issues. Perhaps your injectors are in need of cleaning or replacement.
Couldn't agree more. I have an 05 F350 and it started doing the same thing at 125,000 miles. Original injectors in 6 of 8 cylinders. I live in Iowa and the mercury is starting to drop so my truck is starting to give a brief white puff of smoke in the mornings, even if I plug it in overnight. I just did studs and headgaskets 30,000 miles ago and it's still doing it when it's cold so I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.

What oil are you using? Have/do you use Rev-X? If you' haven't yet, I'd switch to a full synthetic oil. I just ordered Rev-X for my truck, so we'll see how it works out. LOTS of good reviews/posts about it on this forum so I'm confident it will help extend my injector life.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
A brief white puff is normal dependent on temp and tuning
Old 10-23-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoserJR82 View Post
Couldn't agree more. I have an 05 F350 and it started doing the same thing at 125,000 miles. Original injectors in 6 of 8 cylinders. I live in Iowa and the mercury is starting to drop so my truck is starting to give a brief white puff of smoke in the mornings, even if I plug it in overnight. I just did studs and headgaskets 30,000 miles ago and it's still doing it when it's cold so I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.

What oil are you using? Have/do you use Rev-X? If you' haven't yet, I'd switch to a full synthetic oil. I just ordered Rev-X for my truck, so we'll see how it works out. LOTS of good reviews/posts about it on this forum so I'm confident it will help extend my injector life.
Right now im running motomaster 15w40 non synthetic. ran the same oil last year whithout any issues. Just did a oil change couple of weeks ago, might be related?? I started a couple weeks back? Rev-x for fuel or oil? I do not use it but ill give it a try. The thing thats so odd to me is that last year I had no smoke whatsoever.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mine also smokes when i start it up when its cold out. Rev-x didn't work in my case. I was thinking of trying this...

Fixing stiction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.