EGR delete/oil cooler- was running now no start... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 11:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR delete/oil cooler- was running now no start...

Let me start by saying I checked the no start sticky but still confused with these symptoms! Truck is an 04 F250 with 160k miles. Just replaced the oil cooler and installed an IPR EGR delete. Got everything back together and truck started just fine. Took it for a ride, got fuel, and parked it for the night. Next day checked all fluids and went to pick up a plow truck on my trailer. Pulled it home great, no problems until we got home. While idling in the driveway, truck died once but then fired right up. Drove it to work that night and it died once when pulling into the parking lot. Cranked for a few seconds but then fired up. Started fine halfway thru the night. Started fine when leaving work in the morning. Stopped to run an errand, truck was off for a few minutes and then wouldn't start. Still won't start. Cranks just fine but nothing. I have a scanguage but really needing help on where to go with this. Was a diesel virgin prior to pulling this truck apart. From what I've been reading thinking possibly IPR or ICP? How can I tell? Thanks for any help in advance!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 11:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Forgot to add that oil pressure is showing on the dash guage after cranking for about 10-15 seconds. Also FICM voltage is showing at 48 key on and cranking.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:36 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
IPR should be 84% while cranking and ICP needs to be at least .82 volts to start. Doesn't seem like your problem though. It seems like you might have a wiring chaffing issue. I would go through and trace the wiring harness from the injectors all the way back to the ECM (make sure to go past the FICM). Only reason for a shut down and immediate re-fire (IMO) is a wiring issue. Couldn't be a HPO system leak other wise it would always show itself when hot. (Hard to start always when hot). Don't go off the factory gauges as they are glorified idiot lights. The oil pressure gauge doesn't move until 7psi of oil pressure, I think.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I know the dash guages are unreliable at best, just using it to show there was some sort of pressure. ;-) Are there known trouble spots on the 04 6.0 harnesses? Or common pinch points after a teardown like this?

Old 10-21-2013, 01:28 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Lots of possible areas that's why I recommend looking everywhere slowly and carefully and with a little mirror...

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...6&d=1201892575
Old 10-24-2013, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I checked IPR when cranking and it is at 78.4%. I don't know if I programmed the ICP wrong or something but it is giving me between 390-405 when cranking. Would the IPR being down 6% be enough to not allow it to start? Could that have been the intermittent die also? Thanks again for any help!!

Old 10-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Serving Our Country!

the ipr screen could of been clogged with junk when you removed the oil cooler, there are couple of common high pressure oil leaks that are mostly easy to fix:

blank plugs,
dummy plugs
stand pipe

also you need 500psi to crank over a 2004 6.0 watch these videos guy seems really knowledgeable and no its not the infamous powerstrokehelp guy...

part one

part two

he goes into detail the things needed to start a 6.0..
Old 10-28-2013, 05:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the video links! My brother's diesel tech instructor who has alot of experience with Powerstrokes is leaning towards the IPR. What is the easiest way to switch that out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.