6.0 White/blue smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 White/blue smoke

Having a bit of a problem here with my 2003 6.0. I recently put a MBRP 3.5" downpipe on and now have a white smoke w/blue tint out of exhaust at idle and at speed. No loss of power, no codes and EOT and WT are only about 7 degrees apart, no coolant loss or "burp" from degas bottle. Other recent mods are blue spring upgrade and muffler/cat delete, no tunes or programmers only Scan Gauge II for watching temps. Truck has 171,000 and I've only had it about 3 months. I am thinking possible turbo seal but how can I check this and can these be replaced? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
Check this out, really good stuff right here.

Reconditioning a 6.0 Turbo!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-17-2013, 01:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's great Thanks! I was looking at doing it myself and that's a great post seems like I could handle it. I'd a least like to try it before I go buy a reman unit. Thanks again

Last edited by TrickyV10; 10-17-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Got into the turbo today and other than cleaning it up it was in pretty good shape. No oil mess inside at all. Just at a loss as to why I'm smoking like a freight train. EOT and WT still under 10 degrees apart. At start up I can hear all injectors working, no codes and no stored codes. I'm going to pull the EGR valve and check it but could just that valve way over smoke me? One guy today told me I need a egr delete and his shop did them starting at about $2000. Sounds fishy because it's oil smoke I'm getting not coolant smoke. Any ideas out there?
Old 10-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
Smoking like a freight train is either the turbo, egr cooler, Hgs, or some kind of fuel contribution issue. You need to park your truck on a slight incline (that is the hood of the truck going down the slope) and pull your egr valve and look for fluid in your intake. If there is fluid it is probably your egr cooler if not the seal on one of your injectors could have blown.
An egr delete is easy to do and will same you $$ in the long run. You could do this easy with the turbo out already. I have a sinester diesel egr delete and it works great.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Serving Our Country!

you check your injector power balance? ficm volts, and the seal on the up pipe to the turbo?

also blue smoke seems to be turbo/injector issue and white smoke ir either coolant or fuel so sounds like:

1. fuel
2. turbo
3. both

there are a number of injector test you can perform with a monitor or barrowing a members ford AE program.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info. No coolant in the intake,just dry soot, cleaned egr valve seems to be working. FICM Voltage is reading good and going to check out some info on checking the injectors. Still no codes but smoke seems to be getting blacker and heavier.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Serving Our Country!

anyway to monitor boost or the vgt cycle %? you could not be boosting enough to throw a code, but get higher fuel numbers giving you some smoke. also any unusual oil leaks esp on top end?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes boost as high as 20 and VGT seems to be correct as it fluctuates from say 30 to around 75. It'll sit around 54 or so at a steady 60 mph. Have not really hammered it to see how high I can boost as not sure if I'm going to blow something up. I did do blue spring upgrade about a week before I started smoking. Hmmm....
Old 10-18-2013, 10:33 PM

I always thought blue smoke was oil related? Perhaps it's different on a diesel I can't say for sure as I don't know as much about them as I do gas engines. I'm gonna take a shot in the total dark here and say valve seals.

Reason(s)
No engine code (or codes at all)
Cleaned EGR valve
Checked turbo
Injectors working (from what he can hear)
No coolant in intake anywhere
OP did a spring upgrade

Those are just guesstimates based off the info I've gathered in this thread so don't shoot me down if I'm way off.. OP does it smoke ALL the time or just on start up/initial warm up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0, smoke, turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.