Turbo problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2005, 03:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo problems

I have a 03 6 liter with 27000 miles on it .Ihave put 2 turbos on it in 5000 miles.Is there a problem with them?
The First one the said that the variable pich was sticking so the replaced it.
The second one they said that the after maket aircleaner that has about 4000 miles on it is no good and it dusted the turbo. The aircleaner is a AFE stage 1.
I took it off and it looks very clean in the airclaner.The dealer also said that
the super chip that I have just installed will make the head gasket go out.
The chip is set on the safe tow mode.
I think that there must be a problem with the truck other than the aircleaner and the superchip it is what the dealer is using as the sorce of the problem.
What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2005, 05:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to turbotime Send a message via Skype™ to turbotime
Dont let that dealer take you for another ride!!!

I do not have a 6.0L , however, I do have a 7.3L which I had to replace the Turbo in. I too, have a superchips tuner and a stage one AFE in it. I can tell you that I have put both of these products to the test...and they have passed!!! Ford is the one with the problem with the most rediculously stupid location for an intake, and a very ineficient filter itself. Let me tell you that the damage to my turbo was done long before the after market products were installed and that AFE filter has literally saved my engine and Turbo from being totally wased several times over now. In fact, that is the first thing that I reccomened anyone who buys a ford truck do FIRST is put that filter in it. The dust that came through my stock filter was disgusting and very visible, I have yet to see ANY amount of dust get through my AFE intake.

I am sorry to say that I really dont know why you are having the really crummy luck with turbos that you are, but just be assured that those guys do not know what they are talking about if they try to say it is the aftermarket AFE. In fact, next time (if there is and lets hope that there isn't) you have to go in for a bad turbo, just take that super-chips off there, replace the stock intake and never say a word about the aftermarket products. Lets see what they say about the intake then!

In the end, my Turbo was dusted and it really let me know that it was not healthy, I knew that it was comming and was not surprised at all. I only wish that I had not waited so long to get that AFE on my poor truck.

Good luck to you and your turbo. I would also reccomend getting some gauges so that you can really see what is going on in there. Especially with the chip, you will want to take a special care to watch your tranny temp.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
It's hard to tell with dealers. They might be correct in their diagnosis, or they could be loading you up with a big load of...brown stuff. I've heard quite a few blown gasket 6.0 stories from a friend who did blow a few in his, and from a few friends that work at ford dealers. They've told me that very few 7.3's come in despite there being many, many more 7.3's on the roads than 6.0s. Not trying to scare you, just tellin you what I know. Hopefully this turbo will hold up!
Old 12-22-2005, 08:27 PM

Thumbs down

I had a turbo replaced at 2000 miles on it . The Ford tech said over idle, (under 1200 rpms causes ),the variable waste gate to stick, after the turbo was pulled we found that the barring went out almost 9k and no more problems
Old 12-22-2005, 10:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
All this replacing turbos stuff is really givin me jitters. I can barely afford to modify this rig. Heaven forbid a stinkin turbo replacement!
Old 12-23-2005, 05:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Andrew
Is your pickup a 6 liter? I still havn't got it back from the dealer ,hope to get it today.I hope they found something else wrong with it
Old 12-23-2005, 05:44 AM

Send a message via MSN to turbotime Send a message via Skype™ to turbotime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caterpillar Collector
I think that there must be a problem with the truck other than the aircleaner and the superchip it is what the dealer is using as the sorce of the problem.
What do you think?
You hit the head on the nail!!!
Old 12-23-2005, 08:07 AM

Or is it you hit the nail on the head?
Old 12-23-2005, 06:19 PM

Thumbs up

CAT yes mines an 06 cc dwr king ranch 6 liter psd i got it fixed in texas broke on a fri got it back the next mon 1600hrs (4pm).
Old 01-07-2006, 04:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Angry Turbo "dusting"

You need to do more research as it is illegal for Ford to tell you that the aftermarket air cleaner caused the turbo failure. The aftermarket air cleaner does a better job than the factory, but because it didn't say FORD on it, they are using it as an excuse. They have had huge problems with the 03/04 turbos and injectors. I have same problem, except they are also trying to tell me that the air cleaner caused the injectors to go bad also. In addition, i installed a 4" exhaust and they are telling me that since I removed the catalytic converter, the exhaust heats up more (even though the bigger exhaust cools down the exhaust gases) and denied the y-pipe replacement (have exhaust smell in cab)

I have been a FORD man for a long time, but they are going to lose one once I get this problem settled. Any others have similar problems??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.