Runs fine shuts off!! Help!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Runs fine shuts off!! Help!!!

Hey everyone! New to the forum. So I have an 06 f350 6.0. I have a very strange problem. Trying to rule some stuff out before I go and drop a fortune on getting scanned. About a month ago my truck completely quit and would not start at all so I replaced the stand pipes dumby plugs and stc fittings. Started up and ran great. Drove it about 15 miles and then it died as I was driving down the road. It start back up on about the third time but I had to hold the pedal to the floor. It's still doing the same exact thing and after I do that it runs fine. Also if I catch it before it shuts off I can some times save it by holding the pedal to the floor and then it'll run fine. Someone please help me out and point me in some direction. I'm going to test the voltage on the ficm tomorrow but the oil is good coolant isn't blowing out of the cap the head gaskets aren't leaking and I'm at a loss... Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 04:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does it run about the same amount of time before it dies. I am wondering about maybe a combustion gas leak into the fuel system.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:31 PM

is the check engine light on? if so, what are the codes?
Old 10-15-2013, 01:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cel is on but that's bc of my egr delete it's a po401 it's pulling and yes runs about the same amouy of time roughly depends if in pulling up hills or not and everyone I've talked to had at least one of the same diagnosis which is the ficm and I believe mine was replaced about a year ago
Old 10-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

All right I checked the ficm and it's reading 12 volts after all three tests. I'm pretty sure I did it right so it looks like I found my problem.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok so I rechecked it because someone had a bad write up and checked the right one and the voltage is spot on with everything. Someone please lead me in some other direction
Old 10-23-2013, 03:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bump.. Any help would be great but just some more info on it. The ficm is at 48 volts. I had someone scan it and there are no stored codes. Can anyone give me any clue??
Old 10-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Today at 4:26 PM

That sounds similar to what mine started doing a couple weeks ago. Not hijacking your thread...BUT:

It quit once at idle but a few times per 50 mile trip Ill be cruising down the hiway and it will cut out, wont die, but will act like gas pedal is a dummy pedal. If I let off the pedal, it acts like it resets because I can depress the gas pedal again and it goes but sometimes, I have to almost floor it to get any response.

Does this sound similar to your issue? I am going to start my own thread Not meaning to hijack. I was just thinking about it and researching and found that the TPS was something that could mess up. Mine is an '03 F-350. Read there are three sensors involved with the TPS...one at the gas pedal, on at the throttle body (or similar) and one somewhere else.

I know you were thinking FCIM and possbily injector but my FICM is good as well and injectors have been replaced. Mine is EGR delete as well and I just changed both fuel filters

Still learning though.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We'll the tps is right under the front of the truck a real pita to get to and I replaced that on mine already. And that really doesn't sound like my problem mine just quits and that's pretty much it unless every once in awhile I can floor it and it'll keep going but most of the time it'll just die and I can floor it and crank it a few times and it'll start or it won't start at all till it cools down. I talk to a guy in a local dealer shop that apparently is the 6.0l go to guy and over the phone he said its probally an injector leaking because it's get combustion gas in there. So I'm gonna do the ballon test tomorrow and see if it's that?
Old 11-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

All right everyone I really need help still. The ficm tested fine brand new fuel filters and I did the ballon test and that was fine! If I stay in it on the highway or put it in neutral before it does I can save it but it'll buck and cut in and out! I need help where do I go from here . Any help please!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.