truck not starting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
truck not starting

i have a 2004 F250. it will start and run all day long. but once you kill it, it won't start, it will crank over very fast like normal. if i start it and kill it immediately, it won't start back. i have to wait for a few hours before it starts again. i have changed out the fuel pump and fuel filters. does anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You likely have a leak in the high pressure oil system. Once the oil thins out, the HPOP can't build enough pressure for the injectors to fire. Do a search for hot start problems and there are many threads that will lead you in the right direction.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

does the oil thin out after starting then immediately(after 5 seconds) shutting off the truck? it won't start back after doing this either. i forgot to add, no codes show up on a scanner.

Last edited by bgh1985; 10-12-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgh1985 View Post
does the oil thin out after starting then immediately(after 5 seconds) shutting off the truck? it won't start back after doing this either. i forgot to add, no codes show up on a scanner.
There is no way the oil could thin out in 5 seconds. What kind of scanner were you using?
Old 10-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the code reader is an innova 3100 CanOBD2 diagnostic tool. i can't find any fuel leaks. i tried changing the oil, but that didn't fix it.

Last edited by bgh1985; 10-12-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:43 AM

That code scanner works if you have a check engine light. You're going to need a better monitor. I would suggest you read through this :Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ill look into that write up. im not sure if it is relevant but about 5 months ago the fuel gauge would show false readings (i would fill up the truck and it would show half a tank then drop down to empty, then go back up to half a tank. just really erratic.) it finally fixed itself. i am a newb at these trucks so i have to ask a stupid question. the fuel pump i changed is the one on the frame. does the truck have another fuel pump?
Old 10-13-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgh1985 View Post
ill look into that write up. im not sure if it is relevant but about 5 months ago the fuel gauge would show false readings (i would fill up the truck and it would show half a tank then drop down to empty, then go back up to half a tank. just really erratic.) it finally fixed itself. i am a newb at these trucks so i have to ask a stupid question. the fuel pump i changed is the one on the frame. does the truck have another fuel pump?
You are correct, that is the only fuel pump on the truck.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for all the help. i found something that may help in this. if i take the cap off of the fuel filter (the one on top of the motor) and turn the key on, the bowl fills up with diesel, like it should, then the diesel in the bowl will bubble then the fuel level goes down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.