Hard Knock At Cold Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2005, 03:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Gear Jammer
Hard Knock At Cold Start

When it is around 30 outside and my truck is not plugged in when it starts its sounds like its knocking but it only does it for a min or 2. when i plug it in and it gets real low around 15 or less it does it. I had a 7.3 and it never made the sounds this thing does. When it is warmed up it runs great like nothing is bad. Does anyone else have this problem or just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2005, 08:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
It's probably normal. My 7.3 is a lot louder at idle or throttle when the engine is cold....and I mean like 10 degrees cold!
Old 12-20-2005, 04:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gear Jammer
I hope it is. I have no warrntey left on it.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Yeah you should be pretty safe. My buddy's 03 cummins makes some terrible noises when it is cold, but once it warms up it runs normal.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:20 PM

don't worry about the knocking...it gets cold here in NJ, and mine knocks if it isn't plugged in, or if it's really cold...i usually run the glow plugs two or three times two...let me do a sound transposition for everyone's benefit...

...chunnana...chunnana...chunnana..chunnana...chun nanachunnanachunnana...chunachunachunachuna....wam wam wam....wogga wogga wogga...

happy starting!
wes
Old 12-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesjones
...chunnana...chunnana...chunnana..chunnana...chun nanachunnanachunnana...chunachunachunachuna....wam wam wam....wogga wogga wogga...

happy starting!
wes

Double dang, sounds just like my engine. You sure you didn't sneak past my house the other morning with a tape recorder?

Larry
Old 12-21-2005, 09:21 AM

Send a message via MSN to turbotime Send a message via Skype™ to turbotime
Yep, they said it, the cold just makes it sound like that. Two winters ago, it was 6 below or less here for two solid weeks and I never started my truck. It dawned on me one crisp evening that I should probobly run that thing for a while or else risk not running it at all the rest of the winter. Yes, it was plugged in, but that temp gauge did NOT show any heat in the block cause it was a cold one! I really expected for this thing not to start, but three turn-overs later...
CRACK...CRACK..CRACK.CRACK...chugga, chugga, chugga...she was firing so hard that the truck was shaking side to side, but she ran! After the pistons hit extra hard a few times, it smoothed right out and ran like it was 70 outside. Have to admit I was shocked cause even the neighbour, who was driving his truck every day could not get it to start. Although, it was a Duramax, so maybe that is why?

Yeah, dont worry much about it, the rough start is common in the winter, plugged in or not.

~Turbotime
Old 12-21-2005, 03:09 PM

Mine never shows anything on the guage when it's plugged in either, but you can tell the difference when you turn the key and the starter has an easier time turning over.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

my 05 was doing the same thing about a year ago, and a re-flash on the computer took care of the problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.