6.0L Powerstroke brown nasty coolant - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0L Powerstroke brown nasty coolant

Im looking at buying an 04 Powerstroke. When i looked at it, the coolant in the reservoir looked like a nasty brownish foam almost. The outside of the reservoir was the same color, so it was apparent that it had been overpressurized and seeped out. The truck still ran great and had lots of power! Truck has 305k miles and had been fleet maintained until ~280k. Im pretty sure these symptoms mean bad headgaskets? I was planning on pulling the cab up and doing the "bulletpoof kit". Is there anything else that could cause that issue with the coolant? Maybe something with the egr? Im just trying to fix the issue without having to dump a **** load of money into the truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Premium Member

Egr could be ruptured, oil cooler could also be leaking, or of course bad head gaskets

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowmace View Post
Egr could be ruptured, oil cooler could also be leaking, or of course bad head gaskets

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
How do i go about diagnosing that? There is a check engine light on. The seller said "The engine light is on for carbon build-up in the motor". I have never heard of that, nor does that make sense for an engine light to come on.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booostinn View Post
How do i go about diagnosing that? There is a check engine light on. The seller said "The engine light is on for carbon build-up in the motor". I have never heard of that, nor does that make sense for an engine light to come on.
What that means is he wants to sell you a truck.
Ask him to pay to replace the CBS (carbon buildup sensor).

If it's the EGR cooler, loosen the coolant res cap and less coolant should leak into the intake. Or just remove it.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBNtheWoods View Post
What that means is he wants to sell you a truck.
Ask him to pay to replace the CBS (carbon buildup sensor).

If it's the EGR cooler, loosen the coolant res cap and less coolant should leak into the intake. Or just remove it.
Hahahaha. Im trying to stay cooperative with him because im getting a killer deal on it. Even if i have to replace headgaskets, im still getting a great deal on a clean 6.0L. Is there any way to identify if it is headgaskets without a compression test? Im trying to diagnose as much as i can before i purchase the truck so i know exactly what im getting myself into and have a little negotiation power. Im hoping it's the EGR or oil cooler, both of those seem to be much less expensive than the whole headgasket kit. Thanks for the help so far guys, I need to learn as much as i can about this troublesome motor before i invest a wad of cash into it
Old 10-11-2013, 11:39 AM

If the head is cracked/blown headgasket, put your hand over the coolant reservoir cap with the engine cold and see if it builds pressure when you take your hand off. You'll feel the compression.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:42 PM

I bought mine with the same symptom and turned out the oil cooler was plug.
found EGR cooler is already bulletproffed, but you sure want to make sure the headgaskets are not leaking.
I determinate good gaskets by tapping pressure gauge into small coolant reservoir hose.

Last edited by Kajtek1; 10-11-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bulletproof, coolant, egr, head gasket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.