HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP

2003 F 350 6.0,181000 miles,stock. Start's hard when cold and run's rough after it does start and smokes a lot for about 20 second's. I took it to Ford and they said no codes were coming up, I thought maybe a injector, they said no, that's as far as I got with them. Once the truck get's up to temp it run's fine, but when it's cold it has no power and blow's a lot of blue smoke when i get on the pedal, no power.and a lot of bucking after i get it up to 55 and it ****'s into overdrive. I did a volt check on the FICM and got a reading of 47 with the key turned on, then cold start and still a reading of 47, ANY IDEALS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Premium Member

Symptoms do sound like a bad FICM, I've heard of them being bad showing OK voltage. 03 are know to have wire chafing problems start at the 3 FICM connectors and check wear spots to see if something has worn through. Do you have anything to monitor engine with like scangauge or????
Old 10-11-2013, 05:13 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboy1964 View Post
Symptoms do sound like a bad FICM, I've heard of them being bad showing OK voltage. 03 are know to have wire chafing problems start at the 3 FICM connectors and check wear spots to see if something has worn through. Do you have anything to monitor engine with like scangauge or????
I completely agree
Old 10-11-2013, 10:33 AM

Time to ship off that ficm. Have your batteries been replaced recently or been dead? Drop in voltage/rise in amps=bad ficm.

I'd personally recommend Ed at Ficmrepair.com We use him for our own personal vehicles.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

What about Stiction?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHYRMN View Post
What about Stiction?
At 180,000?
Old 10-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I used Hotshot in my last oil change, with no results.The batteries were replaced less than a year ago. I don't have a engine monitor. I drove the truck today and it is getting worse,I have plenty of cranking power but the truck seem's to barely want to start, warm or cold. It also smells like it is running very rich when at idle.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fummins90 View Post
At 180,000?
At 180,000 miles, absolutely. Injectors can build up with coke at any age of the injector.

OP, having a monitor for 6.0's is a must, depending on what type of monitor you prefer can be a bit pricey, but knowing whats going on under the hood will help you diagnose problems before they get expensive, and help you diagnose whats happening in this case also.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update, Haven't changed FICM yet and the truck batteries have been dead the last two morning's. After charging it takes up to five tries to start it, it will start and stall. I have put some Power Service in the fuel and that has seemed to help it run a little better, not smoking nearly as much on start up and running better after warm up with a liitte more power but I still feel it missing when I get on the pedal.Once the truck is started {after charging batteries} it start's the rest of the day, not quick but starts. Could the FICM be draining my batteries overnight, the batteries are not even a year old? Also still have the strong smelling exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.