Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Loss of power while driving, no warm start

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Krippler55 
#1 ·
Loss of almost all power on highway and would not restart after shut off. Pulled code 2290 from EDGE Insight. Plugged in scangauge II and found only 350PSI on ICP.

Have issues lately with fuel gauge not going to Full mark when filling.

No start this morning, towed to shop. They put fuel in it and it fired no problem, I filled it yesterday and drove it for an hour before shutting it down. Ran it hot and had no issue starting again. Went to gas station and it took $16.00 to fill tank.

Shop figures that the loss of power and no start is either coming from the fuel system and want to drop the tank to investigate farther. It still showed 3/4 tank last night when it would not start on the highway. Either that or they said there is a fuel pump tied somehow into the HPOP or the high pressure system.

Thoughts?

#3 ·
I agree with acro. 350psi on ICP is too low, no matter what the situation.

#5 · (Edited)
To clarify:

- Fuel filters 5000 miles.
- This is the 2nd time this has happened. Last time was same code and then fired next morning and ran without issue for 6 months.

Does the fuel sending unit in the tank have anything to do with high pressure oil pressure or oil system? For example, if the PCM is told that there is no fuel pressure does it react in any way into a "limp" mode?

I work in hydraulics and have never seen a pump fail and then come back to life. It acts like a high pressure oil system leak and then fixes itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.