Engine surge and idle flutter at times - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine surge and idle flutter at times

Engine codes are
P0401 Insufficient egr flow
P0404 egr circuit out of range
P2285 Injector ctrl pressure sensor ckt low
This is an 04 F350

While driving the truck will surge forward hard and than stop.At a idle it will flutter or surge like a race truck with no turbo lag!
Any help would be great thanks
Jason

Last edited by okstroker; 10-30-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2006, 04:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Engine Surge

Have you gotten any info on what the problem may be?
I have an '04 F-350 doing the same thing. It's been in hte shop 3 times for the same problem. First time they replaced an injector -- No help!!
Second time they couldn't find anything wrong according to 1 service advisor the second service advisor said they replaced the turbo again (4th one)???? I'm not sure what they did. Now It's back in the shop again!!! I've driven my truck a total of about 50 miles in the past month.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:49 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by okstroker View Post
Engine codes are
P0401 Insufficient egr flow
P0404 egr circuit out of range
P2285 Injector ctrl pressure sensor ckt low
This is an 04 F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by j614b630 View Post
[I have an '04 F-350 doing the same thing. It's been in hte shop 3 times for the same problem. First time they replaced an injector -- No help!!
Second time they couldn't find anything wrong according to 1 service advisor the second service advisor said they replaced the turbo again (4th one)???? I'm not sure what they did. Now It's back in the shop again!!! I've driven my truck a total of about 50 miles in the past month.
Yours is doing the same thing? Are the code the same as these?
These codes indicate (to me) egr valve is dirty and sticking open, ICP sensor or multiple injectors failed (but i would lean towards the ICP sensor)
If you have not yet done so, check for codes and get back to us.
Also unplug your egr valve and see how it drives. If thats fixes it, pull the egr valve and clean it with Berrymans carb cleaner and a toothbrush, put it back in, unhook the batteries and leave them for an hour or so - this should clear the EGR code that may be stored.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Throttle Position Sensor

They replaced the throttle position sensor and it seems to be running ok now. One thing I did notice is some type of pump running 30 seconds after i turn off the engine. I've read that that is normal after the program change, but I was just wondering what it is actually doing.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 03 F250 that is doing almost the same thing. It surges forward while driving and while idleing. The RPM gauge also flutters during this. It also while idleing sounds like it is missing. It has gone to dealer twice now. The first time, showed no codes, no repair done. Second time they replaced the EGR Valve, and it is still doing it. Anybody know what the heck it couild be? The dealer does not know!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerF250Powerstroke View Post
I have a 03 F250 that is doing almost the same thing. It surges forward while driving and while idleing. The RPM gauge also flutters during this. It also while idleing sounds like it is missing. It has gone to dealer twice now. The first time, showed no codes, no repair done. Second time they replaced the EGR Valve, and it is still doing it. Anybody know what the heck it couild be? The dealer does not know!!!

I unpluged my EGR and no more problems.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will have to try that, I don't have time to keep taking it to the dealer, and having them play process of elimination. Thank you for the response!!!
Old 12-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have been playing the process of elimination game for 3 years with the same problem. The only answer I have gotten is that it is a program issue and Ford does not have a fix for it. Eventually the problem clogs up the turbo and they constantly take it out and clean it. I have even lost considerable fuel mileage with mine. They have replaced wiring harnesses and alot of sensors. Reprogrammed it, hooked a flight recorder up to it a half dozen times to record what it is doing. It is like the computer forgets where the vgt is and sends an idle spike to try to locate it according to the mechanic at the dealership I take it to. Anyway good luck. Please let me know if they can resolve your surging problem.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:42 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

My brothers 04 F350 had these exact same issues, no codes but surging at a stop or going down the road. Dealer couldn't figure it out. The guys on here said ICP sensor so i told him to replace it and he hasn't had any problems in over 20k miles.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:45 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by j614b630 View Post
They replaced the throttle position sensor and it seems to be running ok now. One thing I did notice is some type of pump running 30 seconds after i turn off the engine. I've read that that is normal after the program change, but I was just wondering what it is actually doing.
I believe on this that there was a certain program that would cycle the injectors to dump fuel pressure after the key was turned off. My father in laws 04 did this when he got it. but now there is a newer program that eliminates this step. I think the "pump" you were hearing was the injectors releasing fuel pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.