You gotta help me with this! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 06:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You gotta help me with this!

My truck 05 6.0 FX4 has been in my garage since I bought it about three weeks ago. It ran great when I brought it home and a couple of trips after that.
I parked it one evening after a short trip. The next morning I noticed the bottom radiator hose blew off the radiator and spewed coolant and oil on the ground. I suspected the oil cooler or orings were bad after research. I replaced the cooler with a Dorman cooler. And put it all back together.
I changed the oil, filter , fuel filters, and insured orings and tightness were good. I attempted to start it and it finally started. But only for about 30 sec. I went back in and found the ipr valve was ganked up. I replaced it and tried to start it. It did start! I revved it a couple of times and now my "check gauge" warning popped up. I checked the oil and it didn't even register on the stick,WTF!!! I put 15 qts in it. So I added another qt 1/2 and the stick was at "min" level I started I again and the oil psi was at 0. It idled ok but I slowly pushed the pedal and it would start missing. I checked the oil again and it didn't register again. I drained the radiator to see if the oil went Into the cooling system and no oil! Where in the f@$& did it go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

It might just be low on oil. When you do an oil change, you are not emptying the oil cooler or the oil underneath it. You are just draining the pan and replacing. Just add more oil until it is full, run it and recheck. If it is still disappearing, then you will have to check for external leaks. Hopefully it is just low.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:06 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Dorman oil cooler The truck will take more than 15 qts because of the oil cooler change. Did you put a quart of oil under the oil cooler housing before you put the housing back on the motor? FYI... You probably didn't get that area super clean and that's why the IPR screen plugged up. It has to be cleaner than the dishes you eat off of!
Old 10-01-2013, 04:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh, that does make sense! I was going by the books oil capacity. Just another live and learn deals. You guys sharing this info just made my day!
Well this was my first time doing this and did clean the sump really good, your right, probably not good enough. I can't believe that a little valve that expensive can be soo sensitive! I did find a local parts hose that sold me a motorcraft ipr for 200! That with tax and all! (My new parts house)!
I saw on the "Fix My 6.0" web site that the Dorman was the cooler to upgrade from stock. I paid 100$ for the kit. Have you seen or heard of one of these failing?
Old 10-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinEarly99 View Post
Dorman oil cooler The truck will take more than 15 qts because of the oil cooler change. Did you put a quart of oil under the oil cooler housing before you put the housing back on the motor? FYI... You probably didn't get that area super clean and that's why the IPR screen plugged up. It has to be cleaner than the dishes you eat off of!
I filled it up with oil. It was hard to start but started, I ran it for about 5 mins. The oil psi never came up on the dash. So I shut it down and checked the level again. Just alil low this time. Oh, and while it was running it had a definite miss. I added more oil and tried to restart. No go! Idk what to do at this point. I'm thinking of pulling the ipr valve again to see if it's plugged again.
I also pulled the oil filter cap off and saw that it was empty but had evidence of being completely full at some point. Is that normal? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
no oil pressure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.