Oil Temp Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 07:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Temp Question

Just did a water pump replacement, coolant flush and put in new ELC. Before the install with my water pump being bad, my temps were really off and they would jump all around. Since I changed the water pump my coolant temps are more steady and where they r suppose to be. Only thing is I'm noticing now my my oil temps r high, apparently my cooler is clogged. I'm running about 17-20 delta. Question is, what harm is this doing to my truck. Plan on getting a new cooler soon but just wondering if further damage could be done of it driven? My wife is using it most of the time for now taking my kid to and from school but she doesn't drive it a lot everyday some days not at all. No hauling or towing anything anytime soon either. Any help is appreciated

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 07:42 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
The main concern with running high oil temps is the risk of rupturing the oil cooler causing oil to be pumped into the cooling system. Which then you will need another water pump and all rubber coolant hoses. As you know, the stock 6.0 water pump has plastic impellers and when there is oil in the coolant it warps the plastic impeller and turns all coolant hoses so soft that you have no choice but to replace them. It can wait... But how long is anybody's guess. Could be a week, month...
Old 09-29-2013, 08:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

^^totally agree, def start on planning to replace it. also maybe look into getting a coolant filter.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Texas Proud

I agree and also reverse flush your radiator with your regular water hose pressure then rinse it out with distilled water. Usually I have seen on all the ones that I do is that if the oil cooler is plugged most of the time the radiator is also partially plugged up too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.