Lower ECT's and drop in MPG. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-29-2013, 06:32 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Findlay, Ohio
Posts: 177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lower ECT's and drop in MPG.

Over the past week and a half my ECT's have been a bit lower than normal. It normally is around 186-190ish range. Now its 180-184. According to my insight my average mpg (i do mostly city driving) is 13. It has dropped down to 9. I am not missing coolant, and it is running fine. It has been getting colder, but not enough to affect my ECT temps. Am i just being paranoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Somewhere Between Good and Bad
Posts: 1,489
Thanks: 4
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.boom View Post
Over the past week and a half my ECT's have been a bit lower than normal. It normally is around 186-190ish range. Now its 180-184. According to my insight my average mpg (i do mostly city driving) is 13. It has dropped down to 9. I am not missing coolant, and it is running fine. It has been getting colder, but not enough to affect my ECT temps. Am i just being paranoid?
Sounds like your thermostat is getting week, as in these trucks they fail open as a safeguard. Running around unloaded, ECT should be around 190 to 195f, where the thermostat begins to open. And engine temp is tied to fuel mileage - particularly with diesels. The ideal temp for diesel efficiency is 203f.

Also, some states may already be switching to winter blend diesel, so prepare for the annual 2 - 3 mpg drop to begin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 09-30-2013, 05:14 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Findlay, Ohio
Posts: 177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanj0 View Post
Sounds like your thermostat is getting week, as in these trucks they fail open as a safeguard. Running around unloaded, ECT should be around 190 to 195f, where the thermostat begins to open. And engine temp is tied to fuel mileage - particularly with diesels. The ideal temp for diesel efficiency is 203f.

Also, some states may already be switching to winter blend diesel, so prepare for the annual 2 - 3 mpg drop to begin
Would my thermostat going bad cause just my readings to be off? Because my MPG doesn't seem like its getting 8-9, yet it reads like that. Sorry if thats a dumb question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 09-30-2013, 05:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Trinidad Colorado ,USA
Posts: 5,473
Thanks: 113
Thanked 143 Times in 141 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yes cold diesel's do not perform as well as efficiently. (just so you know that took 3 people to try to spell that word)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-30-2013, 07:02 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Findlay, Ohio
Posts: 177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So since my thermostat is going bad, not only will the readings be off but the truck itself will not perform accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-30-2013, 07:27 AM
RollinEarly05...now


 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Klamath Falls
Posts: 3,311
Thanks: 27
Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I don't think running 4-10*f cooler is going to result in 2-3 mpg loss. I'd check your hand calculated mpgs and go from their
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 10-01-2013, 08:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Clarksville
Posts: 314
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I wish I saw a lower coolant temp. Mine needs a water pump its been heating up in traffic. Just need to find the time to do it.

I vote thermostat and the cooler weather coming in. Mpg loss can be different driving, fuel quality, injectors wearing out. Have you been getting fuel at the same place?


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 10-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Findlay, Ohio
Posts: 177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNFireman View Post
I wish I saw a lower coolant temp. Mine needs a water pump its been heating up in traffic. Just need to find the time to do it.

I vote thermostat and the cooler weather coming in. Mpg loss can be different driving, fuel quality, injectors wearing out. Have you been getting fuel at the same place?


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Oh gosh i hope its not my injectors. Yes I have been fueling up at the same places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 10-01-2013, 04:54 PM
RollinEarly05...now


 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Klamath Falls
Posts: 3,311
Thanks: 27
Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Keep us informed....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 10-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Findlay, Ohio
Posts: 177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinEarly99 View Post
Keep us informed....
Will do! Thank you for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors