p0299 and puking coolant. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
p0299 and puking coolant.

This is my first post. Normaly I can find everything I need with the search function.

I recently purchased a 2007 f350 with 85k on the clock. We loaded up our gooseneck trailer for a test drive (approximate weight of 15k). Not long into the test drive the wrench light came on. I read the code with my scan gauge II and found it was a p0299. The truck felt like it lacked power. When we pulled over to check everything out, I found that coolant had puked at one point of our trip.

I had the dealer put the truck back to stock before this happened. The dealer told me there were codes for the egr being shut off.

Are the p0299 and coolant loss related? Or should I be looking at the fact the egr is now active and egr cooler may be cracked. The coolant temp is right around 190 and oil temp is around 198 while cruising on flat ground. I cleaned the turbo today to hopes to remove the under boost code.

What do you guys suggest to do about the puking coolant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 02:52 PM
Serving Our Country!

coolant loss can be a couple of small things or the infamous Headgasket issues check these things out.

1. how full was the degass bottle?
-it shouldn't be at the full line or it can expand to much it should be at the minimum line or if its updated with sticker keep it little under the full mark.

2. how's the degas cap doing?
-replace it anyways with oem from ford or the advanced auto non-clicker type for $5 its really common problem.

3. build at at-home headgasket test kit for cheap.
- you'll need a pressure guage preferably one that is under 30psi so you can get really accurate reading. and hook it to one the 2 small degas hoses and run it to cab.
-- you want to start your truck and see how fast it builds pressure if it goes over 16 right away its not a good sign..
-- normal i think is around 11psi but if it starts to build really fast and goes over 16 double check.

if the turbo is getting low boost code it could be a sign of bad egr or oil cooler that let coolant come in contact with the turbo and rust and cause sticking...

tons of threads on building a at home headgasket test kit i did mine for under $30 at homedepot.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:21 PM

Here it goes
P0299 underboost condition.
I think you might have couple of conditions going at the same time.
I do have wrench warning coming on my new purchase, what seems to be twin brother to yours, but with coolant puke I never lost the power. I bought ScanGauge and recorded high delta, so my oil coolers is shot, but again those don't cut the power.
So in your case loss of power is under-boost related. I would check all the connections on intercooling system and get monitoring system.
Without live data on those engines you will not get anywhere.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Serving Our Country!

a wrench light can cut power. it defuels the engine oil to save itself with very high deltas. you could check your fuel filters too pretty common since diesel is a lot dirtier then it used to be. you guys check your fuel pressure to see about your pump?
Old 09-29-2013, 04:46 PM

The wrench light is still mystery to me and I don't know how many functions it has, but I was recording delta at 50F and still had lot of power to zoom up Sierra at 75 mph in my 15,000 lb combo.
Travis sounds familiar? Driving in California I prize clean fuel. On my older F450 the fuel filter on 7.3 should be replaced every 30k miles. I made over 80k before it slow my truck down and I put new one on the side of the road.
I realize the fuel filters is totally different story on 6l and I carry spare one, but can't complain about cleanest of fuels.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:00 PM
Serving Our Country!

Travis air force base is about 45min south of sacramento off highway 80. pm me sometime and i'll get ya in touch with the mechanic mkmcustoms aka sinister diesel recommends he did great work on my truck and saved me crap load of money verses the dealer...

wrench symbol is bad... deltas of 50 usual mean this needs to be done:

chemical coolant flush with vc-9 to remove rust and restore plus to remove ford gold coolant, flush before new parts or you risk clogging the new parts as well.

new oil cooler and egr cooler (either delete or bulletproof design for egr cooler recommended). and use a red cat elc coolant instead of ford gold.

if you got cash lying around this should be done to every 6.0 too:

there are couple of high pressure oil system fitting recommended to be replaced while its all open to. the then upgraded blue fuel pressure regulator spring, updated oil feed/drain tubes for turbo and then arp headstuds haha the 6.0 is a great truck but picky...

on the 6.0 the manual says every 15k for fuel but i change them every 10 and getting filtrers for fuel and oil at dieselfiltersonline.com has saved me tons of cash even with shipping...
Old 10-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I built the home test gauge from a 15 psi gauge. At idle its under 2psi. With the truck fully warmed up, with a trailer and under load it will exceed 15psi. You can here pressure being releived from the degas bottle.

Once off the throttle it settles back down to around 12-13 psi. Everything seems to point to blown head gaskets. Or am i missing something and egr is ruptured? At this point the truck is parked and I wont be driving it until I collect enough parts to fix it.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:52 PM

Do you have EOT gauge?
I have the same symptoms and I was able to relate it to clogged oil cooler.
Waiting for new one to arrive and time to replace it, than I will know if that was only the oil cooler or something else.
I did cooling system pressure test on cold engine and it holds the pressure for hour.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes I have an EOT gauge. My deltas are about 8-10* apart at the most.
The coolant is around 185* most times.

After doing the pressure test, i am still just as unsure whats wrong with this truck.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:04 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepthing9 View Post
Yes I have an EOT gauge. My deltas are about 8-10* apart at the most.
The coolant is around 185* most times.

After doing the pressure test, i am still just as unsure whats wrong with this truck.
If your deltas are good and your coolant pressure is that high with puking, it's head gaskets. I just went through the same thing, though pulling a grade with a load I could see up to 22 psi coolant pressure. It would essentially move with boost. I now see a max of 8 to 10 psi coolant pressure with no connection to boost. It just slowly rises with temp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.