Valley coolant leak? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Valley coolant leak?

See if I can get some options for what might be causing this leak. Noticed it the other day when parked inside the shop to do some wiring. Didn't leak till the next day. It takes the path of down the valley and along the block head area then down the starter. From what it looks like it could have been doing it for a while since it parks in the gravel and never noticed. Doesn't leak when warmed up. Looked at the blue egr hose dry. It seems to be leaking at the oil cooler right where it meets the valley second bolt in from the egr connection. Also looks damp at intake from water pump but more so at oil cooler. Any help or ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks

2006 F-350 78,000 miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

Clean everything off with brake cleaner and compressed air so everything is dry. Go drive it and find your leak. It's probably coming out of the oil cooler cap where the coolant passage to the EGR is.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Going to have to go to the parts house and get some more brake cleaner. Cleaned up the coolant that was there. It only started with this cool weather and only after siting for 12+ hours. No measurable loss of coolant from degas tank but found some hair line cracks in it so that will be replaced as well. Truck runs amazing since adding sct from innovative and ditching the edge. If I need to tate into it I'm deleting the egr and rebuilding the oil cooler delta is 7-8 ect vs eot. Oil sits at 200-202 coolant 191-195. looks yellowish brown on the front underside of the intake manifold. I'll clean that up and see.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Premium Member

Keep us posted, if it's leaking out the oil cooler cap when you rebuild it the kit comes with every seal in there so it should take care of it. When you get that stuff done invest in ELC coolant and a coolant filter also. Good luck!!
Old 09-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I cleaned up the whole top end and drove it around. So far no sign of a leak. Already have a coolant filter. Also what's a good upgrade to the coolant. Will start the process mid week when I get home from work. Thanks for the help. I'm thinking its an o-ring due to leak only happens when cold. Just what one. I don't want to rebuild the oil cooler if its just an intake o-ring. Is the ect vs eot in need of a rebuild? I am only seeing a 8-10* split and noticed with the new tuning the egr valve never opens. I live in the hills and can be from 900 ft elevation to 5000 ft elevation within an hour. No flat ground to test but when I did this past week I saw the 8-10* at 65 mph
Old 09-30-2013, 05:27 AM
Premium Member

Ya 8 to 10 is starting to plug up a spanking new one will run about a 3 degree delta. It's definitely not an emergency change it right now but it's getting there . Any kind of ELC coolant will work. I use Final Charge HD. Just make sure it's silicate free
Old 10-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Since the clean up of the valley on Sunday I haven't noticed any coolant leaks. When I go home tomorrow from work I will take a look and update. (48 hours non start up) I put together a list of parts to see if I'm heading in the right direction.

IPR EGR GEN2 Delete and oil cooler $668.10
Delo ELC concentrate $19.07 /Gallon
Gates heavy duty fan belt $55
15w-40 Motocraft $17.20 1.5/ Gallon
Dorman Degas tank $42.50
Distiled water $0.88 / Gallon

I haven't found a price on cleaner for the flush yet. I am hoping its a o-ring and i don't need to do all this work at this time but its a good start if i have to. SCT has EGR turned off. Also i like to use ford parts but is the Dorman degas tank and Gates belt ok to run due to price?
Old 10-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Premium Member

Ya that stuff will be okay to run I would run a factory cooler from ford though. Out of all of them, I've had the best luck with them as long the coolant is ELC and filtered.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The IPR cooler and delete kit is supposed to be a ford oil cooler. Anyway I got home from work and took a look and there was the coolant leak again. 48+hour no start. Looks more like its coming from the o-ring at the intake from the water pump. Oil cooler cover is dry. So whats my next step? $840 in parts and a few long days? Or try to lift the intake and replace the o-ring?
Old 10-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Ya 8 to 10 is starting to plug up a spanking new one will run about a 3 degree delta
Who told you that? He is fine. He could also have a sensor misreading a degree or 2.

Quote:
So whats my next step? $840 in parts and a few long days? Or try to lift the intake and replace the o-ring?
How about recheck the torque on the intake manifold. Sometimes the bolts come loose due to the low torque values. If it still leaks, you have a decision to make. If it is just slightly wet, you don't need to fix it right away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
coolant, leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.