No start 6.0 after repairs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy No start 6.0 after repairs

So I went from one problem to another. I discovered oil in the coolant and went ahead and replaced the oil cooler just to be sure that it wasn't the problem. I also noticed that the lock nut on my turbo compressor wheel was missing and it damaged the fins on the wheel while it was trying to find a way outta there. While I had it out, I decided to replace the comp wheel and the shaft bearings. All went together well. I also went ahead and changed oil and filter, changed the both fuel filters as well. Now...I made attempts to start it to flush the cooling system. It finally started, idled ok for about 30sec then loping and surging. I turned it off and tried it again, idled fine for almost a min that time then the same thing lope and surging. Turned it off and tried again now it won't even start. Before I worked on it, it ran great! What the hell did I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Were you smokin real bad during those few seconds of run time? Any codes? Do you have the batt's fully charged up?
Old 09-28-2013, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No smoke, good charge on the batteries. I did find a vac leak. But still not starting. I did get a cylinder balance code and a couple of glow plug codes but I've had the glow plug code before. I know it's something simple, but I'm just not as experienced with the Diesel engine as I am with gas. I rechecked the fuel filter orings and tightness. I'm kinda at a stand still at this point.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anymore suggestions?
Old 09-29-2013, 05:29 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check all your electrical connectors to make sure they're all seated. Check and make sure there isn't a bent pin at your FICM.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 09-29-2013, 05:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'll be checking this today along with some other things I found on the forums. I'll let you guys know what I find or I'll be searching for more answers. Either way, I'll be posting! Thanks!
Old 09-29-2013, 06:08 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I also noticed that the lock nut on my turbo compressor wheel was missing and it damaged the fins on the wheel while it was trying to find a way outta there.
There is no locking nut! If that is missing, your turbo needs major work.

Quote:
I did find a vac leak
Except for the hubs and heater, the engine runs under positive pressure (boost) with a turbocharger; so no vac leaks, only boost leaks.

Before you took the oil cooler out did you clean all the dirt off the valley before removing it? Did you drain and clean out the sump? What was the condition of the screen in the bottom? Did you add new oil to the sump on the install? Were you meticulous about cleanliness?

2 areas to start with. Use the no-start, runs poorly checklist to move forward. Recheck your connections to the FICM. They have to click, or you may have start and run issues. Do a test of your ICP pressure when cranking. You may have damaged the IPR with dirt.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm starting to feel like a dumbass! After checking things I saw on some threads, I noticed the oil filter I bought was different than the one I took off. It came with a new cap. It didn't push the spring down. I put the old one back on just to see if it would start. It finally did. It ran but it was missing. It also had a hissing sound at the turbo. After about 2 min, the vanes closed off and the hissing stopped. I checked the exhaust, no smoke at all. I attempted to rev it up and it died. Now it won't start again. I'm just learning this system so if you can think of something stupid I may have done, please hurt my feelings! Ha! But I definitely kept everything clean during the job. I spend more time cleaning than actual repair!
Old 09-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just pulled the ipr valve, and you were right, the screen was so plugged up it was deformed. I know I'm not gonna find a kit for it at the local parts store.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:57 PM
Premium Member

Read, understand, learn, try. Sometimes it doesn't work out like you want it to. That happens! Asking questions before to tear into it can save you a lot of headache. Let's hope it has all been captured on this IPR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.