Moaning/wailing sound while building boost - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 08:33 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Moaning/wailing sound while building boost

My truck is making a strange sound when starting to drive and build boost. Truck is an '07 F250 CCSB, mostly stock with the mods being: EGR delete w/ new up-pipe, coolant filter, 3.5" DP and cat delete pipe, and a custom tuned SCT. The truck has made this sound since the day I bought it, almost 2 months ago and before any mods were made. I thought it might be rear end whine, but I power braked the truck and with no forward movement as boost came on the noise started. It kinda reminds me of when a fire engine siren first starts out, more like a wailing that starts low, gets louder and then kind of tails off as boost builds. It's loudest at about 5-8 lbs boost but maybe after that I just can't hear it as well because the engine is louder. This morning I built a simple boost leak tester and hooked it up. I set the regulator on my compressor at 5 psi and opened the valve on my test rig. I slowly started increasing the pressure on the regulator (the compressor was not running during the test) at about 10 psi I could hear a very faint "leak" but couldn't tell where it was coming from...sounded like behind the turbo toward the passenger side but again I couldn't pin point it. Slowly kept increasing pressure to ~20 psi and stopped. It blew the tester off after less than a minute and the "leak" didn't get any louder, so I'm not even sure it was truly a leak. I tried three times all with the same results. I don't have a gauge on my test rig, but the system was holding pressure pretty good to eventually blow the rig loose, right? The post regulator gauge on my compressor held pretty steady after each adjustment. Any ideas? My previous Super Duty (an '05 250 CCSB) didn't make this noise at all. Again, it did this when the truck was bone stock as well, so the small mods I've made didn't introduce it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

do you have a leaky CAC boot? around what boost pressure does it start to moan?
Old 09-28-2013, 10:10 AM

Can't see or hear any leaks around any boots, looks like about 2 o 3 psi on boost gauge is when noise starts.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:17 AM

does it get any worse with higher boost numbers/rpms?
Old 09-28-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbee View Post
It's loudest at about 5-8 lbs boost but maybe after that I just can't hear it as well because the engine is louder.
From the original post...
Old 09-28-2013, 11:36 AM

^^ let me open my eyes and read

Sent from a phone that makes calls too!
Old 10-19-2013, 01:01 PM

This is really starting to piss me off. I pulled off the cold side pipe and found a crack in the bellowed area at the IC. Got a metal pipe and boots and installed them...still have the f'n noise. Pulled hot side IC pipe and both boots. Found some small cracks in the turbo boot, but decided to pressurize just this pipe and boots. Filled it until the boots were swelled out pretty far but no leaks. I replaced the turbo boot anyway and as expected the noise is still there. Had my wife power brake the truck while I was looking under the hood, for the life of me I can't locate the noise. It was louder when my head was on the passenger side of the turbo, I couldn't really hear it as much from the driver side. Also, it seemed to be right at the turbo. Out of desperation I pulled my EGR valve. There was some "splatter" on the intake mating surface, but it looked old. The o-rings were not really hard but the gasket looked awful. Might go by the dealer to see if they have a new one on Monday. Could the turbo itself be causing the noise? I really don't like just throwing parts at something, but I really don't know where to go from here. I've also replaced the y pipe but that obviously didn't help either.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:16 PM
Always Faithfully Broken

fastbee, I currently have the same noise and im currently doing everything you did to try to figure this out. Im at the point of turbo replacement to get rid of this noise. Any luck yet?
Old 10-21-2013, 04:38 PM

Not yet. I unplugged my VGT controller today and the noise almost entirely stopped. I had to really listen carefully to hear it. I don't know if that points to the turbo or not. In reading some threads from various internet searches seems to indicate if the VGT controller is unplugged and the sound goes away it is an exhaust leak, not the turbo but damned of I can find it. I think I'm going to get under the truck and have someone power brake it again to see if I can see any leaks from below. Maybe an exhaust manifold or something...
Old 10-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mine does this as well but only if you nail it to the floor really quick. Sounds like a supercharger. If I roll onto the accelerator until it's on the floor I can boost nearly 40 pounds with no whining.

After the whining I can feel a weird vibration in the brake pedal next time I stop and can still hear the whining a little even while sitting still. I wonder if I have a belt slipping, even though I just changed the serpentine about 5,000 miles ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.