Puked once, intake manifold wet - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Puked once, intake manifold wet

I have a 2004 F-250 6.0 with 104k miles on it and it doesn't see much heavy hauling. I've been using it as my primary means of transportation to and from college. I will admit that I've been running a custom SCT tune (Vivian's looney tune) for the past 6,000 miles or so but I run it for fuel economy and never really abuse it (other than to smoke out the occasional Prius on the interstate). I always wait until the engine is warmed up to operating temperature before doing any kind of acceleration. The truck is mechanically stock apart from a 4 inch straight pipe. It had been about 2 weeks since I opened my hood and I decided to check my transmission fluid. Just as I was about to close the hood I noticed a pretty substantial amount of white residue on my degas bottle. It has clearly puked. The level in the bottle hardly moved, it might have gone down 1/8 of an inch and the coolant level is now right about even with the bottom of the original minimum fill line, whereas before it was even with the top of the fill line. I immediately assumed the worst, a blown head gasket. I've since tuned the truck back to stock and have been trying to diagnose the problem. I've replaced the cap and I've done multiple WOT runs to try to get it to puke again but I'm unable to. I've been monitoring the EOT and ECT and have yet to see them more than 8 degrees apart even while driving it hard in this 90F south Louisiana weather. I think the oil cooler is OK. I decided to pull the EGR valve so I could look inside of the intake manifold for any signs of a bad EGR cooler. I've heard to park on a decline for several hours before pulling the valve so that any coolant leaking out of the EGR cooler works its way to the front of the intake manifold and is easily detectable, however, I didn't have any decline to park on. So I let my truck sit for about 4 hours to cool off then loosened the degas cap because I feared that removing the EGR valve while there's still pressure in the cooling system may not be the best idea. There was still a bit of pressure in it even after 4 hours, nothing excessive. I was under the impression that a head gasket failure would cause pressure to bleed out more quickly but I could be wrong. I took out the EGR valve and it was covered in sticky, damp, soot. Almost like black ink. I looked into the intake manifold with a flashlight and it was covered in the same stuff. I stuck a small pry bar down into the intake manifold to scrape up some of the goo and to gauge how thick the coating was but to my surprise it wasn't thick at all. Like I said, it looked like and had a similar consistency as black ink and was very sticky. I'm wondering if I should be focusing my attention on the EGR cooler as the cause of the puking and the crap in my intake manifold or if I should be focusing my attention on a head gasket issue.

Here's a picture of the valve, it's not that great but you can see the dampness of the soot in some areas. I couldn't get a decent one of the intake manifold because this took place at night. I can go try to take one of someone wants to see it.

Anyways, any ideas? Am I over-reacting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 08:57 PM

I have been researching exact issue on new to me 2007 model and so far a member theory about the engine heads lifting up in critical conditions seems the most accurate.
See my topic if you wish, but on my last trip I had coolant pressure gauge installed and I avoided the spit when I backed my foot off seeing pressure raising above 15psi.
That for me happens when my ScanGauge was indicating loads above 80% for extended times, so not situation most of truck owners ever see.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
To the OP, the black funk in the intake is normal. It is a mixture of CCV oil and soot from the EGR. If the EGR was deleted and the CCV wasn't plumbed into the turbo inlet, the intake would only have air in it and would stay clean(er).

To the second poster, sorry, you need gaskets and studs.

Back to the OP, rig up a pressure gauge and drive it. I'll play "the glass is half full" here, you were checking your trans fluid, which tells me you are particular about your truck. Maybe you over filled the coolant a little and maybe you have a bad pressure cap. Don't write it off as broken yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
never really abuse it (other than to smoke out the occasional Prius on the interstate)
likely some lawmaker who can make all of our lives suck
Old 09-27-2013, 11:18 PM

Continuing the 6-liter performance, I have to admit I love it.
I've been using 7.3liter as workorses and they do the job very well, but with 6-liter pushing my 15,000lb and tall combo I was really beating 95% of car traffic... till my coolant pressure went up and I had to back off my foot for a minute.
So far from 2 trips I average over 10 mpg, what is really good as well
Old 09-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauxroux View Post
but I run it for fuel economy and never really abuse it (other than to smoke out the occasional Prius on the interstate).

The first thing that crossed my mind when I read that was "no, really, I subscribe to Playboy for the articles".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
likely some lawmaker who can make all of our lives suck
Sad but true. Too bad folks don't think about that before they "Let the Coal Roll". Where I live, most of the Ford guys are fairly responsible but the dmax and Cummins guys are the dbags blackening out intetsections and running poorly aimed HID headlights.

OP, sorry for the derail.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargar View Post
The first thing that crossed my mind when I read that was "no, really, I subscribe to Playboy for the articles".
Haha! About smoking people out, I was being a bit sarcastic. After about 3 days of feeling the need to blow smoke everywhere I went, my fuel light came on and I realized how much money I just "blew". (pun intended) I said the Prius thing because it was almost obligatory.

Back on topic. Any suggestions on where to look for some hose, a gauge, and connectors? I can rig this up today. I also ordered an RCD egr delete kit that I'll install next weekend.

By the way, this is exactly what my intake looks like!
Old 09-28-2013, 08:20 AM

If you are talking about adding pressure gauge to coolant system - I put a Tee on the small hose going into reservoir, about 3 feet of hose, a barber fitting to old acetylene pressure gauge and zip-ties to the side mirror.
Acetylene gauge works very well as it is pretty accurate and has red at 15 psi.
This is not intended to be permanent, but I am thinking about stashing the gauge under the hood without disconnecting for the future needs.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Were you able to find the host and fittings at Home Depot? 3/8 inch?
Old 09-28-2013, 08:49 AM
Premium Member

That's a great idea. I think that gauge will be far more accurate than an "air" gauge from a hardware store.

Other, more expensive options include, but are not limited to...

If you have a CTS that is expanded, add a pressure sensor to the top of the bottle or on a remote hose and monitor it on your CTS.

I don't care for the guy but powerstrokehelp.com offers an "engine saver alarm" that mounts to the inside of the firewall and is plumbed into the bottle. Apparantly a buzzer goes off if cooling system pressure gets too high.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.