Just acquired my first diesel 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just acquired my first diesel 6.0

Hi, I'm a newbie to the diesel seen. Bought an 05 FX4 with the 6.0. Got a good deal on it and only 50mi later the bottom radiator popped off and spewed coolant and oil. After research I found that the oil cooler may be the failed part. I'm in the proses of changing to the Domain cooler and rebuilding the turbo.
The truck has 183k mi on it and had the EGR delete installed on it. You guys think that with this many miles, should all of the other 6.0 issues should have been addressed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 06:24 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I'd recommend another OEM oil cooler myself. But I'd first try and flush as much of that crap out as possible. Also... Did the radiator break or did the oil cooler fail? Or both... Kinda confusing the way you worded it! Just because a 6.0 has 183k miles doesn't mean it's not prone to failures still... Does it have head studs? Upgraded dummyplugs and standpipes, STC HPOP fitting upgraded, turbo drain tube updated...
Old 09-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's the info I'm looking for. What should I be looking for as far as 6.0 upgrades and/or fixes for the factory over sites.
I'm pretty fluent with gas engines, but never really dealt with diesels. I'm definitely not scared to get in there and take care of anything that needs to be done. I guess I'm just looking for some info or maybe even a list of things I need to to look for.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:51 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Lots of threads on bullet proofing the 6.0, just gotta search it. Here a thread with absolutely everything you would need to 100% go thru everything. Must don't replace this much, but the important ones are in their with notes beside each part and part number.

Tuscany Head Stud List
Old 09-26-2013, 03:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, I will be checking on these items! Oh, it was my hose that blew off. The radiator looks new. Thanks again!
Old 09-26-2013, 04:23 PM
RollinEarly05...now

That's good, I was actually imagining the radiator bottom bursting... Not good
Old 09-26-2013, 04:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

when I did my bullet proofing I left the band clamp on the top radiator hose untightened for like a month! oops...suprising how little it leaked
Old 09-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just took a look at the visible head bolts and noticed they have been upgraded to the studs. What a relief!! Now I'm not 100% sure that the oil cooler was the problem with the oil in the coolant. I'm hoping there is nothing cracked. That would suck! Yeah my wife has been giving me the stink eye ever since I bought it, ha! She thinks I got stuck with POS! But I think I can pull this thing off without breaking the bank! Is there a way I can find out if there is a cracked something? Or just an oil cooler oring issue?

Last edited by Cbankston1447; 09-27-2013 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Reworded for clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.