ECT/EOT ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 05:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ECT/EOT ?

Trying to figure out if I should worry. Towing my camper yesterday, (14.3k truck and camper dry weight) I was looking at my EOT vs ECT numbers. Now normally with no trailer and no load, my truck runs rock steady at 184.xx* ECT and 208.xx* EOT. It doesnt vary much. I have an EGR delete, straight pipe, and with no load the SCT Street tune. However, under the load, if I run 70 MPH up light grades or down my ECT will run 188-195 and eot 212-225. Thats not my worry. If I jump it to 75-80 mph and go up a slight grade or keep 70 up a long decent grade( over a mile or so) my ect will jump up to 225 and EOT will jump to 245. Those dont last long because as soon as I top the grade the numbers scream downwards back to the 2nd set of numbers. It has set my wrench light off twice in the past few months. I shut the motor down, crank back up and the light is gone. The camper is a bumper pull and therefore a massive parachute past 70. Are these jumps normal? Again, the high numbers are only on grades when I have hold it at 70+ over a mile or light grades at 75+. Oh, I also only tow on SCT's 65 horse gain tow tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 08:14 AM

BTW, reason im asking, bout to go loaded weight(will add 1500+) because i am DEGA BOUND!!!!!! Whoo hoo!!!!!! Go Kahne....
Old 09-23-2013, 08:57 AM
Ordnance on coordinates

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
184 was too cold. but that gives you a 24 degree delta. you need a new oil cooler and coolant filter.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:05 AM

Im not worried about the delta so much. Is 245 too hot with that load. I know the deltas wont be the 15* bevause of the egr and tune.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-23-2013, 09:26 AM

And the oil cooler has been replaced already

Old 09-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

Your deltas are high, regardless of the newer oil cooler. Check the temps via another method (laser thermometer, etc) to ensure the temperature probes' integrity. Your coolant temperature is low, probably from a bad thermostat.

When pulling a load ECT will often go above 190 including 220 with a big load. If you got the wrench light, more than likely your engine went into defuel mode due to the high EOT or your fan is not working correctly. What code did you get?

Your EGR delete nor your tune would drive the delta more than a couple of degrees away from normal. Same goes for towing. I have towed a fair bit with tow and perf tunes, with larger injectors and an EGR delete. My deltas stayed pretty much the same, except on a tune or 2 it went up 2*, but never more than 12* delta (on the original oil cooler). A larger delta is possible while towing, but I haven't seen it myself. Your delta without a trailer is telling you a story if you are willing to listen. It is telling a similar story while you tow.

Stopping and restarting is not the proper procedure for hot conditions, reducing the load is while leaving it running!

So back to your original post, yes it is normal for the temperatures to rise as the weight and load increase. No, it is not normal to have such a large delta or get a CEL.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Serving Our Country!

i just towed a 5,000lb camper 310 miles and my EOT was about 208 and ECT 218-218 whole time.

hottest eot i ever got was 224 eot and my ect was only about 8-10 different whole time. going up like some crazy 4 miles hill holding 2700rpms keeping at 55mph. on 90 degree day.

your oil temp is little high it defuels at 245 or 253. try a reverse flush a member did it on here and went from a 44 split to a 16. its still out of spec but it might by you sometime before you buy a new cooler(s) seems really easy too.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:16 PM

At that speed I have no issues my eot is less than 225 and ect is around 200. Thats my problem. There is no problem unless im booking over 70. And my camper is about 8k

Old 09-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Serving Our Country!

i understand the need to keep things within 15 degrees but if your oil temp is hitting 240+ only going 70mph it just seems close.

Coolant / Flushing Chronicles

read this man. I seriously think it will help and not hurt anything by trying... few members have had great success with lowering oil temp this way. has videos and everything.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
There is no problem unless I'm booking over 70. My camper is about 8k
Depending on your trailer frontage, the weight isn't the problem, parasitic drag (wind frontage) is creating the load. The faster you go the drag increases exponentially. As an example, my 4 horse trailer is way heavier than my boat, but I get worse fuel economy pulling my boat. The horse trailer is tucked right in to the cab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.