Knocking Sound / Rough Idle / Lope - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Knocking Sound / Rough Idle / Lope

Hey y'all how's it going?

Well one week ago today I got my truck's gaskets, oil cooler, ficm, yada yada yada fixed for a grand total of $4200! Sweet! Now I'm broke! But that's not really the point here...

Drove it since and it's been running great. Though after today trying to get a couple cool photos / videos (which I did get) I parked on the side of the road and I noticed it loping and sounding weird. I noticed I was low on fuel so I thought maybe I just needed to add some fuel and $50 and half a tank later still the same problem.

So now I'm really thinking "Sh*t, there's something wrong here." I get it home and I pop the hood and there's a slight knock coming from the passenger side of the block. Sounds like its right up front but I mean how can you really tell without ripping the truck apart, AGAIN.

When I had my heads checked out they checked out flat and crack free, but shaved .008". From what I read that is still safe and also with them being on the truck before I had it fixed for months with no issues I decided it would be foolish to spend $2500 on new heads. Maybe that was a bad idea. My gut feeling is a valve/piston kissing because of clearance issues but it's just so weird that it happened after months.

My other thought was an injector problem but I'm not getting any codes. Though of course when my FICM was bad I wasn't getting any codes either so I have a feeling maybe my DTC and stuff is like disabled? Is that even possible?

The injectors looked good and 3 of them were new when we had the gaskets done. Turbo was cleaned and it still builds boost but the truck is kind of a dog now, but it doesn't smoke anymore than the occasional puff you can expect with the SCT Tuner I've got on it.

What are your guys thoughts? I'll try to get a video up here tonight if not tomorrow.

I'm absolutely broke now and cannot afford to put anymore $$$ into this so if this truck is gooched because of the valves/pistons etc. it's either A) Getting sold to an idiot or B) Traded in on a cummins. I seriously love my powerstroke to death and I know 6.0s are great trucks once they're maintained and fixed but I just honestly cannot put this money into them. You guys know how good cummins engines are it's the just the dodge they go into. I found one that I really like though so who knows.

Anyway I appreciate any and all help I can get!

Thanks.

EDIT: HERE IS A VIDEO

Last edited by jmoney330; 09-20-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I wouldn't go overboard yet. Get a power balance test done, could be an injector with air or trash in it. Multiple thinks can cause a misfire/idle rough/noise. Codes are often stored or "soft" codes before they show their face as well and are able to be read with certain code readers.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Alright. And like I said is it possible for the codes to be disabled because when my FICM was bad I never got codes and it was reaching as low as 30 volts.

Could it be bad fuel? I noticed it after I filled up at a questionable gas station, lol.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Don't think its possible to disable codes internally. Could have some water in the fuel making it past the separator. You could run an additive or probably best bring it to someone reputable and pull codes do a contribution/injector buzz test and see what happens. I know it sucks but you have to move forward before any damage could possibly get worse.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I understand. I shot a video of it and I'm not going to drive it until I drive it to the shop about a mile away on Monday! I'm being hopeful!
Old 09-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Added a video to hopefully give you guys an idea.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sounds exactly like an injector misfire. I dont hear any piston to valve clearance issues or bent push rod issues. Either an injector misfire or the IPR isnt functioning the way it should, but you would see that with low ICP pressures. Power balance should show everything. The code probably is following a few more miles needed for the PCM to verify and produce a hard code.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Alright. What should ICP be when driving? Last night I did a test drive when I did the video after adding some STP Injector cleaner and of course it didn't help but I monitored my ICP at WOT and it was like 20 something does that sound right?
Old 09-21-2013, 06:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sounds like a voltage reading, find a conversion table to get psi. Around 4000+-100 for wide open psi. Stock tuned that is.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The Way that's missing, it should definitely throw a code.
I've used Lots of shaved heads on the 6.0 and never had a problem.
If you don't Hear a Skip while it's cranking, your compression is probably fine.
You probably dropped an injector or have a chaffed wire on an intake bolt under the air intake tube for the turbo.
Don't sweat it. just bring it back.
Probably Minor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.