Long crank times - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Long crank times

I bought a 2004 f250 with oil in the water couple months ago, I took it down to the block and put head gaskets, head studs for arp, new oil cooler, oil cooler top cover ( because of bad seal believed to be anti-drain valve', egr cooler, turbo, plastic tube from intercooler to engine, ipr, icp sensor, and all necessary gaskets. It started up with minimal crank time for first start. I only ran it for couple minutes because i realized my heater core was leaking. I installed new heater core couple days later and let it run 30 minutes and checked codes. I was showing code for all 8 injectors so I called ford tech that i trust for thoughts and he thought the same as me so I sent ficm off repair and upgrade ( it was running fine I just didnt like having the codes edpresent). I have had turbo lag believed to be relearned but had not spent much time on the road just ran at friends shop. I received ficm back 4 days later and codes are gone now. I ran it for couple days at 15 minutes a piece for peace of mind. I decided last saturday to drive it all day. It did good till end of the day when i was dropping off trailer at friends i repaired the floor. the oil psessure dropped but was running fine. I did notice it sounded like it developed a whining noise that increased with the rpm. Since that day it has also had 30 second or more( no the case before hand). I pressurized the high pressure oil rail for thirty seconds and closed the ipr and did not hear and gurgling noises threw the oil filter housing. can somebody give me little insight please. I have bein told that i should test the hpop for longer time just dont close the ipr but around 80%. comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 09:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I must have stumped everybody with this one?????
Old 09-24-2013, 09:50 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

how far has this truck been driven since repaired total miles
Old 09-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

150 miles total so far. The saturday that it acted up i left it running most of the day with few breaks. I have put a programmer on it as well and nothing seems to effect it for better or worse. I am contempating buying a new hpop, new down tubes, and the stc fitting just for peace of mind.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

FICM voltage ?
ICP values at crank ??
IPR values at crank ???

Do you hear fuel pump come up to pressure and stop ?
Have you installed the blue spring upgrade for fuel pressure regulator?

If I had to just take a stab in the dark my gut feeling is your IPR. Very common to have them get plugged with debris after oil cooler etc work. Shop rags are most often the culprit from wiping down engine block etc. Pull out the IPR and take a look at the screen. ( lint )
Would also explain the noise at rpm.

Good Luck with it.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ficm is 54.5 icp reads around 180 till it finally starts not sure about the ipr i did do the blue spring upgrade fuel pump is running with plenty of volume i try not to use rags but it could very well be, i usually use tampons for that reason( :-) ) I intend on taking it down to the pump this weekend if i need to go that far, i did put n new ipr but i know that does not guarantee success every time lol. Thanks
Old 09-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

180 is a huge problem. The computer will not turn on ficm until hpo pressure reaches 500.
It sounds to me like you have a hpo leak. A healthy engine will crank above 500 very quickly usually in the 800 range until it starts then IPR scales back to the 580 range.

There are different year designs on 04 iirc you have a leak on the top most likely. Orings or standpipes dummy plugs design dependent.

Rule out IPR before you tear into it.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:59 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

if you have a way of pressurizing the high pressure system and closing off the ipr during the test , be a good place to start before just buying parts
Old 09-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I do have the adaptor to put in the icp location. I pressurized it with driver valve cover off (because it easier) and could hear air blowing not sure location. Pulled out the oil tubes and they looked fine but went ahead and changed them just to please my peace of mind. Went lil bit deeper and pulled out hpop and found that the little ball that is suppose to be in the side of the pump was completely gone.I was surpised because the truck was still running when I pulled it in the shop. That must have bein a good pump minus the unnecessary hole in the side :-). Will order new pump Monday while I am out of town and hope its here when I get back so I can get it back on the road. Thanks for the insight!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.