help..ect vs oct - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
help..ect vs oct

was told that oil cooler was plugging up on my 2004 f350 with the 6.0 powerstroke with 90000 miles based on ect/oct. I took tuck it in to a shop to get the trifecta ( flush coolant , add coolant filter, EGR del. and oil cooler replace). After all the work and a couple Gs. temp diff was still in the 20s while towing. took back to shop where thay flushed and back flushed for a couple of days(till filter was clean), removed radiator and sent so a shop to be cleaned and tested then replaced the oil cooler for the 2nd time. Driving home ect/oct was still 15 - 18 diff with no load driving @ 60 mph for @ 1 hour. dont know what to do at this point??any help would be greatly appreceated. thanks

Last edited by ravlmv; 09-16-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 08:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

could be a bad sensor(s)?

did they use vc-9 chemical to remove the iron and then restore plus to remove the sludge left over from ford gold coolant? and did they flush before? when people flush these trucks its good to drive it around for few days with just water if weather permits after the chemical flush. it takes a few days for all the iron scale/ rust to get out of your coolant system. really sorry for your trouble other than sensors or coolers i would wait to see what the guys with alot of experience here say...
Old 09-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

not sure about the first time they did the flush, but when i brought it back they did 2 flushes with vc-9 then a couple of days of flushes and running with water till clear
Old 09-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Serving Our Country!

well shoot man! if your serious about your truck bulletproofdiesel sells the air cooled conversion kit which will eliminate oil cooler clogs permanently... have you seen the videos about reverse flushing the oil cooler? one guy went from a 44 degree difference down to like a 16-15... cost him about $100 might be worth a short for ya in this situation i'll find the link real quick.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Serving Our Country!

def. try this man! its exactly what im gonna do if my cooler ever starts to show signs... there are plenty of post on how to set it up too.

Coolant / Flushing Chronicles
Old 09-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the great link. I forgot to mention that i also installed a bulletproof water pump, new tentioner, belt , degas bottle and cap. would love to be able to afford an external oil cooler but dont have that kind of$$. not sure what flushing or backflushing any more would do at this point? going to run for a couple of days and pull coolant filter and cut it openand check. i cant imagine that there could be anything in the cooling syst.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:19 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
There is a procedure that Jurgernaut posted awhile back... I can't seem to find it right now. But it is how to test the EOT sensor and ECT. I'll try to find it for ya. Also, are you monitoring your deltas while unloaded, flat ground, while maintain a steady speed? What are the temps? I had a friend think the same thing and turned out his thermostat was stuck open so his deltas were out of range but once he put a new thermostat in his temps seemed to equilize.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

if you could find that procedure it would be great for checking sensors. thermostst was changed last month and taken off during the recent flushing and replaced. running 60 mph for @ 1 hour, flat ground and no load ECT rock solid at 190-192, OCT at 207-210. thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.