No start after HPOP on a 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No start after HPOP on a 6.0

My first post so bare me please. I have an 07 that started out taking a while to start after bein parked for a few hours. I have IDS so I read ICP while cranking and would build pressure slow until it would start. This went on for a few weeks but I never trusted it to take a long trip I'd just beat around town with it and it never acted up while driving. I bought an Alliant HPOP icp and ipr. I used it one day to pull a small tractor 60 miles from home and when I got off the interstate it died when it went down to an idle. So I checked icp and it was around 16psi...far from 500. I changed the pump and ipr and now all I get is 87psi and that's it and it does take about 20-30 seconds of cranking for it to get to 87. I did check the ipr screen and was clean I've been trying this for 2 weeks and about to jump out my box! It has all the upgrades with standpipes and dummy plugs stc fitting studs deleted. Oil bowl fills quick and drain back valve holds but the lpop gauge does take a few seconds to come up but once it's up it jumps right up after another attempt to start. I don't mean to write a book but would a high pressure leak drain back and won't hold? bc icp drops to 0 right after I stop cranking it. I'd appreciate any help bc dynamite is beginning to look like my remedy lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Do you have the motorcraft oil filter and cap on the engine??
Very important to verify this. Could be losing oil through poppit.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's all I use is motorcraft. I even changed the filter standpipe bc the check at the top was broken but it made no difference
Old 09-13-2013, 04:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did you buy the HPOP, or just the ICP n IPR.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-13-2013, 05:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Pump is new
Old 09-13-2013, 05:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What ID ur lpop pressure once its running?

Old 09-13-2013, 05:13 AM
Premium Member

How did you know (or think) it was a HPOP failure? If that was all that you changed out (plus ICP and IPR) it seems that wasn't your problem. Did your new pump come with the new STC? The HPOP is a fairly simple and straight-forward repair; are you sure you work was complete, including replacing both O-rings? Since you changed out your IPR, that should be OK, but a simple check would be to retry with a known good one or even your old one.

Regardless of previous upgrades, you need to perform a leak check of your HPOP system. Your IDS should come in handy for closing the IPR and monitoring your progress.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm beginning to think the pump wasn't the problem too. I'm pretty confident in my work with the two o rings on the pump and yes the pump did come with an upgraded stc. I did try the old ipr and same result. I'm just puzzled on how a high pressure leak can cause what's happening. My next move was to go under the valve covers and leak test as you suggested. Anything on the low side would cause something of this nature? Like the lpop not supplying enough volume or pressure? Guess I could check low pressure with a mechanical gauge

Old 09-13-2013, 08:49 AM
Premium Member

As long as it fills the oil filter bowl in a reasonable time it is OK. The HPOP takes its oil from the sump under the cooler.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So a high pressure leak could cause the sump to drain back? The oil pressure gauge does take 10-15 seconds of cranking for it to come up and once it's up the icp finally starts building slowly until hitting a wall at 87 psi after 30 seconds of cranking. No icp until dash gauge comes up. The long cold start was the preexisting symptom until it killed on the road. The gauge wouldn't come up right away and wouldn't start until it came up. I'm with you that the HPOP wasn't my problem but I just can't wrap my thoughts around a high pressure leak. When I get home tonight I will try an air test and see where that takes me. I appreciate the help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.