Water in fuel, engine missing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water in fuel, engine missing

Ok guys got a new problem and looking for some help. A few months back I started getting the "WATER IN FUEL" light all the time. Drained the filter housing but didn't look like any water came out, usually I can tell bc the water seperates from the fuel, but the light stop coming on...... for about 3 days. It started again so this time I get new filters, drained again and install new filters. Filters that were in were only had about 6000 miles on them, usually change them every 8-10. This did not help the light still came on, so I thought maybe a sensor error??? Anyway, about a week after this I started getting a miss, started off small and has now started to be pretty bad. Starts good but is missing badly while idling. Jumps and misses while accelerating but when I go WOT it is perfect, good power and all. While cruising at really any speed I can feel it missing and when I stop to idle it seems the worst. I noticed this weekend while on about a 60 mile drive that my FICM would periodically drop to 47.5, it would automatically jump back up to normal 48-49. I checked my FICM while starting and at WOT, it held 48-49. Only time it drops is while I'm cruising or idling from time to time. I use power service every time I put fuel in the tank. Needing to know what I need to check and how to check it. I'm going to be digging into it sometime this weekend to put a new water pump on, don't think a failed water pump would cause this but I could be wrong. Any help is appreciated.

AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 08:44 PM

take the fuel pump drain plug out and spray some break cleaner (with a straw) in the hole and watch all the nasty brown rusty nasty crap come out. This will stop the WIF light issue. Hopefully it didnt make it to the injectors. What does your fuel pressure look like?
Old 09-11-2013, 08:52 PM

The fuel pump drain plug? Is this the same as what I was referring to as the fuel filter housing under the truck on the frame or is this different? I do not have a fuel pressure gauge, I been planning to get one but funds haven't allowed it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-11-2013, 09:28 PM

yes, its the HFCM drain plug. (the one under the truck)
Old 09-11-2013, 09:47 PM

Should I take the filter out before doing this or just do it with the filter installed? And I do know that when I changed the filters the top filter was a little dirty but I sucked some of the diesel out of that top housing and it was very clean

Old 09-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Serving Our Country!

on the frame rails mounted fuel filter there is two things to check...
1. the large black cap that covers the filter element and then a small maybe brass-colored hex head screw... unscrew that and clean out the little cavity. alot of people found tha somehow the plug was corroded and left nasty rush/water/fuel junk in there.

also looking up the infmous "powerstroke tank delamination problem" not a common as the article makes it out to be but if you changed all your sensors, the drain, filters, pump its gotta be the fuel tank or source of fuel your fueling up i think.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:24 PM

i did it with the filter installed, although im sure it wouldnt hurt to take the filter out and give that housing a good spray too.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:58 PM

Ill do this tomorrow. Ill let ya know if it helps or not. Thanks

Old 09-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A buddy that borrowed my truck not long ago got a bad tank of gas that ran the exact same way. He was smart enough to take the drain plug out right away but with the water in the tank sloshing around it would only get picked up every so often. The dealer he took it to we're stupider then he was and replaced an injector and sent him on his way only to have the water in fuel light come on a couple of days later, dealer kept saying they took a fuel sample and saw no water and kept putting in another injector. Pulled the drain plug again but the light came back on after about an hour of driving (which would idle and run fine at first then get much worse). After making the dealer drop the tank to get the rest of the water (and a$$ dealer said they were wrong when they said there was no more water) out the truck runs ok now, $5,000 later. DROP YOUR TANK

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Last edited by Term3; 09-12-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:26 PM

So I pulled out the filter and the drain plug and cleaned out the HFCM. No more "water in fuel light" so far. The missing cleared up right after I did it but came back after a few days. Not sure whats going on. Thinking maybe time to get injectors checked.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.