Please Help 04 6.0 no oil pressure!HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please Help 04 6.0 no oil pressure!HELP

How do I test the low pressure oil side of the 6.0, i seem to have no oil pressure at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 06:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay, well here it is. I drove into my shop to replace a silicon fillting, decided to clean turbo while i was there. Put it all back together and to my surprise it just cranked and cranked. I immedietly pulled codes, all that came up was p2623 ipr circuit low. I then went to the filter housing to check base oil. All is good. pushed the valve down and housing filled up in 5-6 seconds. Then put manual gauge in ICP port, 0.0 icp. I then tested the IPR valve, everything seemed to check out. I dove in deeper, thinking i had a terrible leak where something just came off, pick up, pressed ball on side of hpop. nothing, everything looks and tests good...... I am wondering if the routing somehow is going into bypass at the filter housing and just dumping back to crankcase... Anyone out there with any suggestions???
Old 09-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is the plastic filter spindle tower cracked or broken? Is the plastic button valve still in the top of the tower [oil filter bypass valve]? Have the right filter and cap combination.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, the tower in the filter housing is or appears to be fine...i have been playing with the filter housing because it makes no sense to me that I have 0.0 psi. at ICP, i could see 2,3 or anytype of pressure from a bad pump.. but zero is crazy. I have always kept the filter cap the same...run ford filters etc. Have tested the oil relief valve at the 1:00 position in housing, good.. When I push down on the valve, it allows the oil to fill 5-6 seconds. I did notice however that when I very first did take the oil filter cap off, the housing was dry, by dry, i mean that there was no oil in the housing, I could see where the oil level in the housing appeared to only come up the filter maybe 3/4 of the way....now making me wonder what is the problem here??? So I took the filter and pushed down on the relief valve all the way measured distance to make sure the cap is pushing the filter down all the way and closing the drain on the housing. Turned motor over and again, oil fills housing nicely..
Old 09-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

And further, when it filled the filter housing, I left pressure applied to the filter by hand. When i released the pressure from the filter it drained...So the Filter/ Cap, as far as I can tell, are proper, and the operation of the drain valve seems to be functioning properly.....
Old 09-10-2013, 02:02 PM

Ok I reread your first post cause somethin was naggin at me. I first read that you checked the pressure at the FILTER with a mechanical gauge, but you actually said you screwed it into the ICP. Shure hope that was a 4000 psi gauge cause if not if you would have had full oil pressure that gauge could have blown up in your face. Max output of the HPOP is 4000 psi.

Retest at the test port of the filter houseing. Bottom front passenger side, should have a quick disconnect looking fitting screwed in it. 12mm fitting. Recomend 75 psi gauge looking for a min 45 psi reading.

I suspect a failed low pressure pump or its regulator valve.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I first off want to thank you for taking the time to help me figure this out...THANK YOU!!! Yes it was a oil filled 5000psi gauge that I use for pull pressure setting plugs,testing gas wells, I retrofitted to the ICP port. Thank you for the warning of the HP oil. I also had suspected that the regulator valve may have got stuck and only allowed enough to come to FILTER. But pulled and it seemed fine, no metal, no debris, not hung up, not full of oil sludge.. I had read(Ford 6.0 bible) that the low pressure oil system was contingent upon RPM for pressure, it would increase as the RPM increased?? RE: 12psi@700rpm, 24psi@1200rpm, 45psi@1800rpm, if I new how to cut and paste those specs I would.....don't. If I am wrong please just say. But just read it a couple days ago and took notes...I am hung up on the filter housing having something to do with it. Could the system possibly be pumping oil from the lpop, up to the filter housing, and draining back to the crankcase and not be building enough pressure for the hpop to even be able to pump?? seem to have good low pressure, I mean if fills the Housing up fast when I take a screw driver and hold the oil drain valve down, I wonder if the filter drain is some how open, or somewhere else it could go from there in a hurry?? Cause when I put the filter in, no cap, and hold down on the spring tower and drain valve with the filter, and have someone crank it, it fills up 4-5 seconds, but if I lift the filter about an 1/4 of an inch, while cranking, it just drains back out. I am getting a new motorcraft filter, and a new cap tomorrow but IDK, Is there another place oil could evacuate the housing in a closed circuit situation?? Ive got this thing tore down, is there another test that i could do at the hpop with the cover off to test to see if im getting oil while cranking??
Old 09-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I do apologize, it was not the 6.0 bible, it was in "Ford Tech Manual" that had info on the low pressure oil being directly related to RPM
Old 09-10-2013, 05:00 PM

There is a drain back valve inthe bottom of the filter houseing about 7:00 o-clock but have seen that fail seldom.

One reason I asked about the filter and cap is some of the aftermarket filters have their own cap. Wix is the worst it's filter is 1" longer and has a high domed cap. If you snap a ford filter into the wix cap it will not depress the drain valve and oil will flow to the pan.

The factory cap is flat no dome. A couple of the others have a domed cap just not as tall as wix. They too will not fully depress the valve when useing a ford filter.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:20 PM

What silicon fitting are u referring to in your first post? You could test actual LPO through the oil pressure sending unit. That should tell you if you have pressure after the filter

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0 advice, 6.0 died, 6.0 f250 advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.